Wednesday, April 14

8 Days A Week

I have been keeping a secret from you. It's not a big deal, but it is, kinda. I haven't kept it from everyone, just this particular space. Guess I just haven't been ready to reflect on the whole situation yet. Sometimes if you think too much -- more than 140 characters, for instance -- you ruin it.

Here it is:

I've done Level 1 of the frickinfrakkin 30 Day Shred every day for 8 days. I swore to myself I wouldn't post anything about it here until I'd gotten through a full 8 days -- don't know why I picked that number, maybe because I knew I wouldn't be able to hold out any longer than that.

EIGHT. DAAAYYYYYYYS, Y'ALL!!!!!! Maybe it doesn't sound like much to you, but me? Working out 8 days in a row without fail? Is a pretty significant accomplishment.

I've been doing it mostly at night, after the kids go to bed. It's not that hard to fit in Jillian's 20 minutes; I don't know why I thought it was, before. I still get to watch my weeknight shows (ahem, fall asleep on the couchevenduringthefinal6episodesofLOSTOMG!!) and get to bed by 11:00-ish. Last night I managed to make AJ's lunch and fold a load of laundry, as well. On Sunday, I did it in the morning, both kids underfoot, and guess what? They didn't care. AJ did it with me, actually. And then, since I wasn't doing it again until Monday night, I felt so grateful that I had "a long break." HA! My brain has been scrambled.

My endurance is improving. Those cardio butt-kicks? Easy-peasy. Although last night I tried to use larger hand weights (5 lbs each) and ... uh, no. I'll stick with 2.5 for now. Heh.

I'm pretty sick of Level 1, but determined to do it for TEN DAYS and then switch, because Level 2 is going to be such a welcome relief. I'm actually looking forward to feeling SORE on Day 12, after Level 2's inaugural run.

I'm hopeful that there will be visible results, but I also know to keep my expectations in check. I am counting calories too, but not being very strict about it. (Last night's jelly bean overdose as an example. These modern jelly beans from Starburst and Jolly Rancher, my goodness! So yummy! So soft!) My long-term plan is to FINISH this 30 days, to ACCOMPLISH a fitness goal for once in my life, and then rotate in more yoga and pilates. Maybe walking/jogging. Maybe even have a rest day. Mostly I want to be beach-ready. I have hated myself in my bathing suits the last 3 beach trips.

So, that's it. Health kick!

6 comments:

Tess said...

Um, YAY.

The most shocking thing to me about The Shred was also that I could do it WHILE AVA WAS AWAKE.
For some reason, I always think I need to find exercise time when she's asleep or not with me (ie when I'm at work). It's quite the revelation to realize that I can wedge it in during our regular day.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I've been walking after M goes to sleep. But now with the later days, I try to walk to the park or something with her in the evenings. That's my exercise. I may not be toned, but I'm healthy. (I said that to convince myself!)

Leandra said...

Good for you! And now you make me feel incredibly guilty because I keep telling myself I'm going to exercise and yet somehow my butt finds its way to the sofa every night.

Skiplovey said...

Yay for you! That's awesome that you're able to do it while the kids are awake.

I'm thinking about trying the Shred out too. I've got about 12 lbs of baby belly that needs to go!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Level 2 is my favorite, and in a way, easier than Level 1 (IMO)


-JMH

Traci said...

Good Job. I found level 1 and level 2 easy but you are going to be sore come level 3. Keep up the good work. I need to get back to doing that too so you're my inspiration.