I'm working at home today. Oh, working at home, how I have missed you so!! I love sitting next to my kitchen window, with only the QUIET sounds of Napoleon snoring and my dryer finishing a load of whites -- nothing to disturb me! I'm writing an article about going green today, so I've got all the lights turned off, the blinds open, and the appliances unplugged. (Well, not ALL of them, but the ones I can unplug.) I get up every once in a while with purpose. To go swipe down a bathroom or let Puppy out -- not to idly walk to the restroom. I am getting a lot done without the stupid phone or inane chatter to interrupt me.
Home, hommmmmmmme! It's too bad we spend so little time here.
Speaking of home, one of my dumb insecurities was relieved last night during Book Club. I have been thinking a lot about my 1986 kitchen cabinets and ugly off-white Formica countertops. They embarrass me. So, while looking covetously at the hostess' beautiful granite, I came right out and asked, and guess what? Neither girl in attendance could recall what my cabinets look like. Nor have they ever thought, "el-e-e's kitchen is ugly." My longtime friend Melissa said, "You know what I notice about your house? The pictures of your kids. And the way it always smells good."
I tell myself these things, but it's so nice to hear them being spoken.
Home is where the heart is, it's true. And that's a serious cliche of a transition sentence, but I'm glad to be here today. One final reason: A florist delivery man just left my front doorstep. He dropped off a dozen roses from my Darling Husband, with whom I celebrate 9 years today. What a happy anniversary for me!
2 comments:
Oh, that moment at book club is just so awesome. I love feeling validated like that... And you know, I often try to remind myself of that: that *I* see all the dirty baseboards, chipped paint, etc but that others really don't. Imperfections that seem SO HUGE to me go unnoticed by folks that don't live here.
Happy Anniversary!
Awww, happy anniversary!
I love those moments with girlfriends. Of course other people don't see those things (but I always think the same about my house, so I have nothing useful to say there!)
Enjoy your at-home day!
Post a Comment