Friday, August 20

7 Quick Takes - This Week in Living

1. I posted on Facebook last night that Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, stresses me out more than a door-to-door solicitor. This could be a whole post in itself, actually. I’ve been burned once or twice by scam artists, and have therefore TRIED to establish a Policy , so when the doorbell rang last night, I told myself “POLICY. POLICY. I DON’T DO BUSINESS at the front door. Thankyougoodbye.” But then I opened it, and it was a guy selling new fiber-optic cable! and Voice-over-IP! and blah blah blah, and his tactics (“I’m just here to see if you’re on my lines and want to verify your phone number… etc. and How much are you currently paying... ohhh, that’s too much….”) completely distracted me, as they are supposed to do.

I leave the TV business to my husband, but of course just initialing this form – not a contract, mind you – would ensure that if we DID decide in the future, even a year from now, that we want to go with his company, we’d lock in today’s pricing... and I totally Failed to Adhere to the Policy, or even mention it! And it was HOT AS BLAZES out there, and it took a long stinking time to fill out his stupid forms and verify me over the phone. And should I invite him in to cool off in that case (NO, Of course NO, but it feels pretty rude just the same). So, stress! And then I was anxious that DH would drive up before the dude had left, and would see me there on the porch DOING BUSINESS with him, and shake his head and think, “Not again.” ...and the stress just multiplied and I nearly broke down after the whole thing was said and (NOT SIGNED) and done. HATE.

2. DH was wonderful about it, actually. Hugged me and said it was fine, and he’d call the guy back to cancel slash follow up.

3. I’ve mentioned a co-worker who’s recently become very vocal about her views on the Food Industry, a la Omnivore’s Dilemma. I mean, she's entitled to her opinions, obviously, but she’s been slightly self-righteous and annoying about "over-processed" foods and organic etc. WELL. The other day she asked me where I’d like to eat lunch. My suggestion (a chicken place, I love their salads) made her wrinkle her nose, and she said, “I can’t eat there. I don’t know WHERE they get their chickens, or if they’re treated humanely.” So, fine. Whatever. But TODAY I told her I was running out to pick up a salad from the same place, and could I bring her a drink? She gave me money instead for a fried-cheese appetizer! So evidently she doesn’t care if they treat their cheese (cows?) inhumanely. Picture me with squinty eyes of irritation.

4. My over-processed and questionably treated chicken salads have garnered me a South-Beach Diet loss of 3 pounds so far. It is going well and one of the reasons I haven’t posted much here is that I’m sorta doing my online time-wasting on the message boards there. Heh. I’ve allowed some cheating (weekends are a killer), but still I feel like I’m following the plan pretty well. It’s so much easier for me than counting calories!

5. I had additional stress this week over a LONG list of work assignments, mostly writing. It’s not that I can’t DO the writing, it’s that I put off starting it. And these 5 or 6 articles kinda snuck up on me, all due at once. (On top of a bunch of other tasks, of course.) But with some focus I’ve gotten 3 of the 6 DONE, and 1 more assigned and OFF my PLATE, and boy oh boy, is that a nice way to finish out the week.

6. Remember I mentioned wanting to sign up for a Yoga class again? Yeah. Still haven’t done that. Still want to, though.

7. Finally, turning this all around to a positive note, I had a really lovely musical experience once this week. The deal is, I love Contemporary Christian music. Jesus Rock, my DH calls it. One of the first albums I ever bought at age 11, in fact, was Michael W. Smith’s Project, thanks to my friend whose Dad was in the permanent Deaconate. So I heard an old, romantic Jesus-Rock song the other day in the car ("I Will Be Here," by SCC), and it got me thinking about the wonderful gift I have in my husband (awwww). Then just now, I heard “His Grace Is Enough,” which is upbeat and new, but totally made me thankful for getting through This Week In Living. Without His Grace, I might not have. I feel really good about the upcoming weekend.

For more Quick Takes (hopefully quicker than mine...) visit Jen!

3 comments:

Tess said...

What an excellent Policy! You don't do business at the front door. Love it.

bessie.viola said...

I HATE the door-to-door thing too. It's inherited - my mom used to hide from them so they'd think we weren't home. I don't blame her; she was in a country house with lots of windows and four little girls.

Also, #7 is another reason why I'm sure we'd be friends IRL - I LOVE Jesus Rock too. :) There is one song that makes me cry without fail each time I hear it, but it's ALL good stuff.

Alice said...

i HAAATE getting stuck with those door to door people. it's too rude to just slam the door on them once they've started their schtick, and then it feels rude to cut them off and tell them i don't want it, but arrrgghh. i do not want it. and it's rude of THEM to be so pushy anyway!