Tuesday, November 9

Not Hiking, and Camping

I guess it’s sinuses. I woke up yesterday with a ridiculous headache, right behind my left eye. All morning I was worried it would devolve into a migraine. I don’t really know how migraines work, but I have had them thrice in my life, and it felt like yesterday was on a migraine trajectory -- even AFTER taking an Extra-Strength Tylenol Rapid Release Gelcap, which was recommended to me by my nurse friend. Four hours and several snotty Kleenexes later, I took a generic brand ibuprofen, and finally got some relief.

I’ve been having these “allergies” now for 3 weeks. I think they may not be allergies? Ahem. Sadly, they are also involving a good bit more asthma than I would like. Once, in my 20s, I was diagnosed with a very mild case of it. After it passed, I really haven’t had any “episodes” in a long time. Until lately. Nearly every night, when my 24-hour Claritin wears off, I’m having to medicate with the leftover Albuterol inhaler that was prescribed to AJ in 2005 (I know – I feel shame about using a probably expired, not prescribed to me, inhaler. But it helps).

Yesterday I made telephone calls. First to the insurance company to initiate the process of changing my primary care doc. Next to the new doc to see if they have any appointments this week. (They don’t.) Next up: Find a minute-clinic and see if I can get a proper Albuterol Rx.

It’s all very sad and tragic over here, isn’t it?!

So I didn’t hike. OBVS. Why would I have posted about it, without the express knowledge that some minor roadblock would certainly derail my plans?? That’s what ALWAYS seems to happen. It's like the universe Reads Blogs. However, my coworker and I did our 15-minute walking video, which helped clear my head, and then after putting the kids to bed I did my slated-for-Tuesday yoga. It also helped a bit. I will have to hike Thursday and Friday this week, but dangit, I am HIKING.

P.S. Camping went well. AJ is one of only 2 kids in his Den who braved the cold and received a Polar Bear patch – for those who camp overnight in less than 27-degree weather. (!!!) They were tired and smelled of campfire when they got home, but full of memories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry! I've felt sick myself for about 6 weeks. Seriously. All the kids in the neighborhood have been sick, too. Ridiculous.

ya-ya ma said...

I'd forgotten about that "coming home smelling like campfire" part. Brings back good memories!!