Tuesday, November 23

November: Lists, Drugs, Cone-heads and Mickey Mouse

Has anyone seen the month of November? I know it was here, but somehow it got away from me and I’m looking over my shoulder, side to side... nope, gone. What happened?!

In related news: I’m not ready for Christmas yet!! I did, however, get an Advent calendar, about which I'm unreasonably excited. I got a paper one so I wouldn't have to come up with 25 days' worth of non-candy treats. Usin' the ol' noggin.

DH and I have done some shopping for the kidlets – he handles the action figures and I handle the pink stuff. I think they’re both going to have a nice Santa spread, but not extravagant. I still need to get a few small things to round it out, and stocking stuffers. The stressful part for me is shopping for family members and friends. Don’t you agree? My main issues are thus:
  • Distance -- We don’t know from seeing them daily what kinds of things they like, or already have.

  • Wish Lists – Agh. Have I whined about this before? We typically exchange “gift ideas” with each other, but I’m completely bored by it. It feels more like business and not like we give because we love the recipient and are thoughtful and creative. I struggle with this every year. Of course everyone wants to receive things they like, and sometimes coming up with ideas out of thin air is hard (see: Distance, above)... but some people in my family insist, “I need your lists!!” and there’s all this pressure, and I want to say, “Just go to Pier One and pick something pretty! Like a candle because it’s consumable and won’t stay in my house for the next 40 years. Or better yet, a tin of hot cocoa.” Why does it have to be so hard? I guess we don’t all want a pile of Hostess Gifts, but on the other hand... why not?? They’re lovely.

I don’t mean to complain. Mostly my sis-in-law was very persistent about wanting our lists this year. In AUGUST. I don’t think I ever sent her one so she’s going to have to figure it out. I’m anxious to get myself in gear for them, and for all our parents, friends and neighbors. My failsafe: I bought extra Cub Scout popcorn in yummy flavors so the neighbors might be taken care of. ;)

LISTS!

...

November has been asthma awareness month. By the end of nearly every night I’m sighing REAL LOUD and my lungs kind-of ache. I got a doctor's appointment as soon as one was available (Nov 30) and then went to the Little Clinic for a new inhaler that is not expired.

And speaking of drugs. I’m one of three of us family members on antibiotics at the moment, for the vague issue of "sinus trouble" (HATE). Frankly, the humidifier seems to have helped more in the last 2 days than 7 days’ worth of horse-pills, but whatever. AJ had strep so he’s on teh juice, too, and Napoleon the dog is also medicated. I hadn’t told you about that but long story short, he had some surgery after a difficult decision about whether or not he could handle the anesthesia. Happy to report that he handled it just fine, and we’re glad to have him back, and have him available for cuddling and patting. He is no longer a smelly cone-head, and I am no longer wiping down his reverse lampshade collar every day with a Lysol wipe. Thank GOD. Blech.

...

Let’s end this month with a flourish – we’re off to Disney World tomorrow. The Happiest Place on Earth, during The Busiest Week of The Year (a fact about which I was not aware). Could be our least favorite trip there, but somehow I think it’ll still be awesome. Happy Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

nicole said...

Jealous of Disney, crowds and all. And I heard this was a great time to go?

Make a list on your blog! Then you can satisfy those who need it and have a post. That is what I do. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

My inlaws are my toughest gifts, too. A couple of years ago my brother/sisterinlaw/mother decided to stop buying for each other and, instead, take a trip together during the year and call it our Christmas present to each other. I talked my other brotherinlaw/sisterinlaw to doing the same last year. It takes so much stress off me since I don't have those people on my list. It isn't the money or that I don't WANT to buy for everyone, but I hate the feeling of being stressed out about getting my shopping complete/getting the perfect gifts for all those people. It can ruin the season.

Laura

bessie.viola said...

DISNEY!! Oh I am bouncing in my chair excited for you! HOW FUN!

I missed November too. But I have a good start on the shopping, and your comment made me laugh because OH my grandma is the same way about lists. It's August, and she's asking for lists. It's hysterical.

I'm trying to be more thoughtful this year, though - even if I have a list I'm trying really hard to get something that just reminds me of the person.

I did make my husband an Amazon wish list though. He's intimidated by online shopping and so he's pretty grateful to have all those ideas right there.

DH said...

Yeah - I hate lists too, but they are helpful, especially for your WIFE.

Alice said...

shopping. oh gosd. i guess i should start that, huh. orrrrr just sit here with my head in the sand...!

Kathleen@so much to say, so little time said...

We've finally decided to abandon gifts for family members and go with donations in their names instead. Not for the parents, probably, but for bro's, sis's, and families.