Or: This Is Unlikely to Ever Happen Again; Glad We Enjoyed It
Predictions were dead-on over the weekend that we would have a 100% chance of snow and ice overnight Sunday. I dutifully went to the grocery store Sunday afternoon, to procure my bread and milk. (Actually it was my typical weekend trip to the store - I was embarassed to be there with all the other panickers. But in hindsight, I'm very glad about it!) It snowed, and after about 4 inches, it began the sleet/freezing rain combo that made everything crunchy on top. We took Napoleon out at 8:30 pm and it was barely sprinkling. Then at 9:30, looked out the window and everything was already covered.
This is not unusual, I'm sure, to any northerners among my readers, but for us it was strange and unbelievable. :) We woke to a winter wonderland, and even better than that, all schools closed (and even my office, kindly letting us know Sunday night that they'd be closed Monday). The ice-covered roads would make it impossible to drive, since Atlanta, and especially the suburbs, aren't prepared with plows or salters or whatever it is you guys have up there that allow you to live with this stuff all the time!
Around 9 am Monday we bundled up for our 1st snow adventure. The kids enjoyed "Snow Lollipops" (icicles, which they aptly named -- I'd never called them that as a kid); we did our snow angels though it was hard to break the ice layer on top; threw snowballs, got wet; breathed the crisp air. And then our upstate-New York neighbors, bless them, pulled out the sleds. Our street is one lonnnnng hill, and it was solid ice. Some of us had fun -- my kids and I didn't sled, although I kinda wanted to. All the neighbors were out and I love community gatherings like that. Our snowman's name is "Oatmeal."
Turns out my office didn't open until TODAY, so I've had three (five, including the weekend) full days with no responsibility other than my family, and my home. It has been delicious. Like a very extended Christmas break. I've been so grateful for the time, and grateful that my mood didn't ever -- somehow -- turn sour, or get tired of it, or cabin-fever-y. The kids have been great. DH was home with us through Wednesday morning. We've played a ton of board games, watched movies, eaten chili. My parents arrived safely yesterday (for an already-planned visit), and it worked out well because the kids are off school again today.
We'll see what tomorrow brings. The sun is shining now, and all is bright.
5 comments:
I am currently in the midst of our 4th day at home and have just received a call that school is canceled for tomorrow too. Yay? Seriously, if we didn't live so far out in the boonies, it might not be bad, but I'm dying over here.
thank God for this afternoon's previously scheduled trip to the allergist, or we'd all be going native over here.
Hang in there! I'm truly shocked that I haven't gotten that "I gotta get outta here" feeling. (I'm at the office today and it WAS good to shower, get dressed, and put on nice shoes again.)
So glad the unexpected break was a good one. I don't think I could maintain cheerfulness for that long with no breaks, but who knows? I hope to not find out though. I live in TX for a reason! ;)
That is so awesome! I'm jealous of how you Southerners get to really revel in the snow whenever it arrives - up north, it's just a continuous pain from late November to early April. I love that you got to really enjoy the magic of it!
This is how I feel about snow in November/December. It's cozy and nice and fun to play in. But by this time of year, the fun is gone, the temps are too cold to be outside for ANY length of time, and the whole situation makes me STABBY. We've received 58 inches of snow this winter! And had accumulation on 16 of the 18 days in January! And it's below zero right now! Wheeeeeee! (NOT!)
Anyway, I'm glad you got to experience that with your kids. All kids should have some snow-play memories from their childhoods.
Post a Comment