Monday, February 14

Good things happening

1. Last night, for dinner, AJ suggested and I made tuna noodle casserole... and both kids cleaned their plates!! Red letter day! I think all the playing outside (thank you, 60-degree weather) had a lot to do with their (KT's) appetites, but can I get a HALLELUJAH on that?!

This week, as promised, DH and AJ created our menu:

S - aforementioned tuna casserole, fruit salad
M - pork chops (Hot-n-Spicy Shake-n-Bake!), field pieas, white rice
T - KT's choice (it's her birthday): burgers and hot dogs, fries, and ice-cream cake
W - dirty rice w/ground beef, salad for me, V8 fusion for the kids
Th - might go out if my parents arrive
F - spaghetti and turkey meatballs, green beans, garlic toast

We haven't had a couple of those meals in a while (pork chops, dirty rice), so that's good. That was my main complaint - being tired of the Same Old Same Old. I'm like a lot of you in that I serve what I want, no matter if the kids like it or not. I do like to serve things they'll eat a few times a week. But I was sick of the 8 or 10 things that fit the bill. I feel good that AJ suggested all of these -- his palette is expanding this year and he's eating a lot more of our family favorites. (Gumbo, and maybe other casseroles, here we come!)

2. We stopped in a sports store on Saturday morning to exchange something, and took a few minutes to check out the bikes. AJ hopped right up onto one with training wheels and rode around the store a few times. He did really well, and more importantly, got EXCITED about it. We've asked him a few times if he wants a bike, and we always get a very lukewarm response. But this orange bike, I think, has him hooked -- now if we can just reel him in. It was $129 so we didn't buy it right away, but I'm thinking birthday. Until then, I'm ready to borrow a friend's - he offered, and I think we should jump on it. I learned to ride a bike when I was six, too. :) Very exciting!

3. I asked for (via Twitter!) and received, a delicous Dark Chocolate Assortment of Godiva chocolates for Valentine's Day. SO simple, and even cliche! But so happy-making. :) Thank, you, honey!

3 comments:

nicole said...

Hooray all around! Tuna noodle casserole grosses me out, so I find it odd that kids would like it. Lily is getting a bike for her birthday because she has figured out how to ride Timmy's little 12 inch bike!

Lee said...

I know, right? I LOVE the stuff but they totally boggled my mind when they ate it. :) Awesome about Lily! Our driveway and the street we live on are both pretty steep, so we haven't kept bikes or even trikes out much. We have trikes, and AJ got a Razor scooter last year, but I've just been real wary with little ones. But now they're getting big enough to handle it, I think... we'll see!

nicole said...

Oh, we're on a flat street with a flat driveway and lots of sidewalks, so the kids can ride up and down our street with ease. Timmy has a Razr scooter, but he's not very good on it, and it makes me nervous. ;)