Friday, February 25

Very jumbled and at peace

Lots of things swirling around in my head today, not many of which are very interesting to anyone but me. We had a great week and weekend celebrating KT's birthday. She didn't get pinkeye (thank you for your good vibes!), all the grandparents were here, we cooked, we went out, we let them babysit, she dressed up in all her princess and fairy stuff and was just the epitome of cute, and now they're gone and we're getting settled back into the rhythm of our collective daily life. I need that rhythm. I really missed it, as much as I love having everyone to visit - and I really do, having people to cook for and serve is very satisfying in its own way.

My son continues to delight me -- as the older brother, he was a star at the birthday party of 8 little 2- and 3-year old girls. He let KT be the center of attention, played his role just right, and helps "take care" of her so well on a daily basis. I watched him, this morning, as she whined and fussed for THE FAIRY ONE, an episode of Dora that he couldn't translate to the actual title, to find for her. He wanted to help her so badly, but she kept screaming at him, THE FAIRY ONE THEFAIRYONE, like a 3-year-old does, and he was very patient, up to the point he got tears in his eyes because he couldn't Figure Her Out. Poor thing. He's a great brother. He also READS constantly which is another topic altogether, obviously. This morning I was thinking of a few books I'm anxious for him to read soon: Little House in the Big Woods, Superfudge, Choose Your Own Adventure. Such fun.

DH and I got to attend another concert by our favorite band on Tuesday night. I've seen them 4 times now, more than I've seen any other band (besides a local one I followed in college). It was an amazing night, starting with the spring weather, a just-the-two-of-us chips and salsa, dinner and margaritas... then a pleasant meeting of new "friends" in line before the concert, or at least 2 dudes who also love the music as much as we do (they drove up from Florida)... getting great seats, enjoying the music so much... tweeting about it like a complete dork during the show (me)... taking pictures and just feeling very graced by the art and talent of 4 old-ish guys who can still very much rock the house. I used to not like when the guitars would soar and crash SO LOUDLY, but over the years I've come to really love the dissonance and the roar -- not to mention, I know so many more of the melodies now -- and just marveling at how the musicians are so capable, and clearly love what they do. It's a joy to watch, really. I tweeted, too, that I do love a man playing a bass guitar. I don't know - I prefer watching it to the acoustic, which surprises me because I LOVE the acoustic guitar's sound. Something very intense about the bass, though. Maybe because it's the deep beating heart, sometimes unnoticed, of the song, and that seems romantic to me. I love bass singing voices, too, and very low notes. The lead singer of The Church is a bass baritone for sure.

I laugh because, when I was pregnant with AJ, a suggestion for a name came from DH -- Kilbey, the last name of the very same lead singer. I was pretty sure he was joking, but at any rate, was firmly against it at the time. And still am... but now I at least have a healthy appreciation of WHY he would suggest it for his firstborn son. I respect the inspiration, where before I didn't have a clue. :) I love that we're able to share this years-long music experience as a couple.

Lastly, I've been trying to be more consistent about exercising and so far it's going well. I've logged 3 entire days in a row. Wooo. I will report more on that if and when there is something to report, but I'm feeling good about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish you could have seen the look of awe and joy in my little girl's eyes when she saw the princesses and I read the thank you card to her. Amazing. (I actually never even thought about thank yous for birthday presents until recently. Miss Manners I'm not, apparently.)