It was one of those weekends where I felt really good about spending so much time with the kids. We really were able to focus on them, which is great for any family, but especially for a 2-working-parents one. DH and AJ went out Saturday morning to see THOR IN 3D – and came home speaking like that, in all caps, by the way, calling me “MAIDEN” and “WOMAN.” Heh, heh. That left KT and me some nice girl-time to get haircuts and go shopping. One of my buddies chided me for that, saying, “You’re starting her on that already??!” ...UM, YES. Actually she didn’t want to get her hair cut after we got there, but I did, and she sat patiently with my iPhone, playing her games (Princess dress up and the Sorting game from Toddler Teasers are her current favorites). What did kids DO before iPhones, I ask you?!
During our lunch (McDonald's, her choice), KT said something directly to me like, “This is Fun, Mommy. We’re having Fun.” I can’t recall the exact words but it was so sweet. Sometimes she tacks on “..because I love you” to her sentences (“You have to hold me [whine] because I love you.”) – she may have done that. “This is fun, Mommy, because I love you.” It’s clearly the most adorable thing you’ve ever heard, and it absolutely made my day. Even though she later pitched a hissy fit over not getting to push the buttons on the card-swiper at Target (eyeroll), and was swiftly buckled back into her carseat and told something disciplinary.
Saturday afternoon we went to a last hurrah cookout at AJ’s baseball coach’s home. I feel like we’re more socially engaged with this couple than with any of our other friends (until football season, when our Good Friends invite us over nearly every weekend to watch a game) – but I’m not sure I want to continue putting time into the friendship. Lots of reasons that I don’t feel like explaining – mostly about the coaching style. On the other hand – without other nearby couple-friendship options, I should be grateful, shouldn’t I? Tend the friendship and count my blessings. I was happy on Saturday when the wife called me casually and I was able to help her out with the menu – it was like, something actual girlfriends do. I have so little of that in my daily life. It’s weird.
At any rate, it’s definitely our turn to have this family over for dinner, so that will have to be in the works, if nothing else. What do you do for couple-friendships? Date-nights with one spouse or the others’ co-workers? Leftover friends from high school or college? Neighbors? Church groups? Do tell.
4 comments:
I love those weekends! Mine was a bit that way as well. I was on my own Saturday with Madeline, and it was nice to have that one-on-one time.
Most of our couple friends are from high school/college, and for the most part we end up cooking at someone's house and staying home. All our children are young enough yet that it's difficult to coordinate babysitting and all that, so we mostly have playdates/dates. It's easier in the summer when the kids can play outside. :)
Sounds like a fun weekend. Lily will just randomly say to me "Because I love you Mommy!" It is so sweet.
We are so blessed in the couple friendship department. Since Travis and I have both done ACTS retreats many times we have formed many friendships. We are in two couples groups that meet once a month for faith sharing and marriage building. So those couples are our main source of friends, but we are also still friends with the guys from the band Travis was in, and their wives. And we have my group of college girlfriends and their spouses (we met at the Catholic Center) and then we are starting to build friendships with some school and baseball friends. Now I feel like I am bragging, so sorry about that. I will just say our church rocks! :)
Friends? Social life? What ARE those???
We have good neighbors with a 4-year-old -- M's BFF -- and they are kind enough to invite us out occasionally.
We on rare occasion see a college couple who live in Virginia but come to Atlanta every few months.
When we went to Charleston, we stopped at the house of our good friends (made after college) for an impromptu get-together.
This lack of a social life is definitely as much my fault as D's. I just don't prioritize it, and don't realize I miss it until I miss it, if that makes any sense.
Girls are never too young for haircuts and shopping. And "fun because I love you" must be the best kind there is. :-)
Post a Comment