Friday, November 4

My manager just stared at my screen for 5 full minutes

... we were in a different browser Tab, but this one was up, with its "BLOGGER: hello, self!" title glaring at us. So oh well, she probably knows where to find me now. Not that I mind -- hello, $h@n (just in case)! I've told her I keep a blog, but I've never actually handed her the URL.

Happy Friday, people! It's been an "off" week, with Halloween on Monday night, hasn't it? Or was that just me? I don't know, I've felt like I'm tripping over my feet every day, not really remembering AJ's homework assignments and which days they're due, not having my usual lunchtime errands for birthday parties or volunteer-school-activities, and being out Monday night made the rest of the 4 days seem unplanned. Or something. I've also been s...l...o...w...l...y getting sick, which has been ANNOYING. Monday night after the candy madness, I got a really weird case of the shivers. I did hang out in the 50-degree temperatures for 2 hours-ish passing out candy and trick or treating, but the shivers happened after we came in and I'd been under my blankie for another hour. When we went upstairs to bed, I got the shakes and could. not. stop. It made brushing my teeth difficult. My lips looked gray/blue in the mirror. After DH did his best to hug them out of me, I bundled up and got into bed, slept well and very warm. The same thing happened on Tuesday night, but not quite so dramatically; I was just cold. Wednesday I felt mostly better. Thursday (yesterday) I had a headache. And last night and this morning, my throat has been sporting that tell-tale, pinpoint place of sore, where it hurts to swallow. I'd rather just have an all-out SICK DAY and call it done. This dragggggging on is driving me crazy (mostly because I'm not sick enough to just REST, I still have to DO STUFF)!

Bleh. It SURE makes for an interesting blog post, doesn't it?! Don't answer that.

When I went shopping with KT a few weeks ago, I let her/us buy a little bag of peach gummy rings as a treat. You know, they're made by the Jelly Belly company, and are orange and white with a sugar coating? They're so delicious and artificial-peachy. I haven't been able to get the taste out of my mind since then. They KEEP popping up in my memory! I wouldn't say they're my favorite candy, either -- just one that made a particular impression on me that day, I guess. My FAVORITE fruity candy is probably Jolly Ranchers, which I rarely buy, followed by original Skittles and Charms Blow-Pops. At work, we recently discovered some hard candies by Crystal Light, so they're sugar-free. I approve of those, too. It's fun having different kinds of candy in the house this week, I have to say -- normally we only keep M&Ms on-hand (old habit from the potty-training days, I guess, and for emergency chocolate needs). But the candy buckets are disappearing after this weekend.

I finally read The Namesake by Jumpha Lahiri, that Sherry lent me about THREE years ago. (I'm done now, Sherry!) It was quite good. I enjoy books where the main characters grow from children into adults, and this book did that in such a way it made me think about my own life cycle, and that death is part of that, and it's okay, and life goes on, and all those deep things. It's about a family of American immigrants from India and of course the colorful culture made it that much more interesting, but I think the story was really about family relationships and the timespan was exactly my lifespan (so far) -- I had the feeling that the main character was 37, just like me, at the end of the book -- and I liked that. I also enjoyed that it had a lot to do with his name, and his nickname, because I think that's such an important aspect of people's identities. Apparently it's even moreso in Indian families. The only other feeling I had of the book was that it was slightly sad, or maybe just grey. I think this was the main character's mood the majority of the book, actually. So if you need a lift, this may not be the book for you, but if you want something interesting and life-mirroring, then I recommend it.

It's hard to review books, isn't it? I know Swistle always says, "I liked it, but I didn't like it, and I recommend it, but I also DON'T." I'm feeling that very same thing right now. Next on my list is THE HUNGER GAMES, hooray!! Perhaps I'll recover from this stupid cold this weekend, in my bed, reading.

7 comments:

nicole said...

Hunger Games is great! Intense, but in a nice fantasy way that is non-threatening. Also, the teen love aspect is always fun as an adult. ;) I hope you don't get full blown sick, or if you do that you can just rest all weekend.

Sherry said...

I totally forgot about that book. I think if I could only read happy stuff, I would. I need me some happy. That's funny -- the captcha is happeri. Apparently that's my word of the day -- happeri.

bessie.viola said...

I've been slightly-sick this week too. It is very annoying, particularly when dealing with a more-sick-than-me toddler who is NEEEEDYYY. I think that recovering through the weekend with a book in bed sounds like JUST the thing!

I can't wait to hear what you think of the Hunger Games. :)

Swistle said...

Oh, I so hate that CHILLED feeling. I wonder if it would work to drink hot water? I don't think I've ever tried it: the chilliness is too distracting for that kind of thinking. I'm going to try to remember it for next time.

I love it too, having different candy in the house! We have stuff that I like to eat now and then but wouldn't buy.

I like the lift vs. interesting/life-mirroring distinctions!

Sherry said...

Are you thoroughly sick now? My comment has been bothering me -- because obviously I COULD read only happy stuff if I wanted. But there's that urging to read the rest. I just finished Geraldine Brook's Caleb's Crossing. Really good. Not altogether happy.

Lee said...

I AM, in fact, thoroughly sick now! Losing my voice as I type this!

I thought nothing wrong with your comment. :) I've heard of Caleb's Crossing...

Alice said...

gah, i'm partly sick as well, although i think it's all allergies. i've been almost hoping it would move into full-blown sick so i could just DEAL with it and get it over with before leaving on vacation!!