Yesterday I went to the mall to get the last of our presents and search out Christmas Mass outfits for the kids. I found great deals at a department store and came home feeling very satisfied. Then I got to wrap presents out in the open, in a large space (as opposed to the corner of the floor after the kids' bedtime, that has somehow been my uncomfortable SOP this season). I did my C25K run, in 63-degree sunshine. I did dishes. I checked the basement stash to make sure Santa is treating each kid evenly this year (he is, pretty amazingly). After the kids went to bed I made Swistle's Mint-Chocolate cookies, as has become my tradition (thank you, Swistle!), for their teachers' gifts.
I was on my feet all day but it was good.
Today I have cleaned the kitchen even though it's not nearly the end of the Christmas production cycle, made a special, traditional snack to surprise my parents with, when they arrive Thursday, and planned my dinner menu. I listened to Christmas music -- Sugarland's Gold and Green album, which I didn't realize is SO GOOD! I love you, Kristian Bush; and Harry Connick Jr, of course -- and talked to my parents on the phone. Hope we haven't used up all the topics so we have plenty to chat about when they get here!
I'm headed out in a little while to get a haircut, take some things to the cleaners (I hope they'll be done before Thursday or Friday), and drop off a wayward toy to Toys for Tots. Apparently they're low on the turnout this year so I feel good about donating it, even thought it was a duplicate for which I could get back my $35... but some boy somewhere will enjoy it.
The kids are at school today. One of them is having his class party, and the other will miss hers, but I think she's still young enough that she won't notice or care. I miss them, but I'm SO glad I've had this time to get our house, and myself, ready for the wonderful week ahead. I love Christmas, and I love having it at my house. (When I'm not feeling stressed about having it at my house, that is.) I'm not stressed at this moment.
I'm grateful, and happy. The stockings are hung. The Santa picture is framed (our first year with both kids unafraid of him). I think I'm about ready.
3 comments:
Sounds like a lovely day so far! Can't wait until we get there! xoxoxo
Sounds wonderful. Good for you for taking time to get things done in a manageable way with minimal stress.
i am so! ready! to be not at work anymore. this week before christmas should be spent getting ready for christmas, not working at the office. bah.
Post a Comment