Thursday, January 12

Twelve-fifteen on the treadmill

It's almost time for me to head downstairs to the treadmill. On Tuesday I did my Couch-to-5K run and a miracle occurred: I ran for five minutes without stopping! I should say, "jogged," because I'm keeping the pace NICE AND SLOW, but people, this is -- truly -- a brief miracle. Five minutes!

I just wanted to TRY the program. I wasn't convinced I could actually do it. And I'm only halfway there, I guess there's still no guarantee I will finish it. But all of a sudden I realized: this form of exercise which I have heretofore abhorred and decried (yes, THAT dramatic), is the only kind of exercise that's given me a feeling of accomplishment, in great measure. When I did the 30-Day Shred I was proud for slogging through it; glad when I could get through Level Three (or heck, even Level One's cardio segments were a killer), but I definitely didn't feel like I wanted to do it any FURTHER. It's just punishment. Miserable. And she yells at you. And thus, after about 25 days or so, I basically stopped.

Plain-old walking, my typical exercise of choice, is perfectly fine, but utterly devoid of the sense of achievement.

But with this, somehow I feel each success -- even with all the yucky sweating and the bad music that the Christian Alternative C25K podcaster-guy chooses (horrible! I really need to download something else) -- and it altogether encourages me. Endorphins for the win! It makes me excited to try again, and see how far I can get. Can I do six minutes? I think maybe by next week I CAN.

I don't know who I am anymore! *back of hand to forehead, wilts to nearby chaise lounge*

(I hope it lasts.)

7 comments:

Tess said...

Oh, CONGRATS on the five minutes!! That is an accomplishment.

I'll say this for running: there isn't any other exercise that makes me feel quite as good after. There are several that make me feel better DURING.

bessie.viola said...

AWESOME! Great work!

I am doing the Shred right now, although not consecutive nights because that would mean I was listening to Jillian and I am NOT doing that. "NO YOU CANNOT!" (Ugh her voice. It IS effective though!)

I can't wait to hear more about this, Couch to 5K has always intimidated me.

Lee said...

ME TOO, bessie.v! Running, in general, has always intimidated me. I have been working up to starting it for about a year, actually. When I'd go for walks, I would run for 1 minute. Then walk for five. Or ten. Run for 1 minute. I never EVER thought I would progress past that. :) Then in November I decided I wasn't going to see any change unless I tried something drastically different from what I've always done.

so far so good. Haven't dropped a pound but I've tried not to think about that so much (difficult), and really am just trying to do the program.

And GREAT job you, doing the Shred. It is a fantastic workout, I admit that. Definitely produces results. I can just HEAR her "NO YOU CANNOT." hahahahaha.

ya-ya ma said...

Keep it up! You can do it! This from someone who can't/won't run even one mile, or half of that, or even one-fourth. I'm proud of you!

nicole said...

Yes! That is exactly how I feel about running. It does give me a feeling of power that no other exercise does, although boot camp comes close when I'm at my best. And just because you're not seeing weight loss I am sure you are getting more toned. Nothing has toned my core like running, which is why I must do it more. I joined a running club at the gym and we are using an accelerated C25K plan, over 6 weeks instead of 9. First meeting was good, we'll see how tomorrow goes (will be chilly--boo). Keep going Lee!

Sherry said...

And, for an alternative viewpoint ... I just wish it didn't bother me so much when I don't get to exercise. I don't do much -- if I can walk or dance or play for 30 minutes, I'm good with that. But if I don't get to do anything, I get highly anxious. Bummer.

Sorry for that downer. Go, You!!

Alice said...

dude, that's AWESOME. running for 5 straight minutes is NO JOKE. i feel like for "runners" it seems so trivial, but... dude. for those of us who do not naturally lope through life 15 miles at a time? FIVE MINUTES IS DAMN AWESOME.