Wednesday, February 8

Brilliant solutions

I always feel a little embarassed after posting a "help me" question like I did yesterday; I have been at this parenting thing for nearly 8 years now, shouldn't I know what to do for toddler tantrums, for Pete's sake?? But maybe the act of putting it out there -- NO, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO -- was more like a spoken prayer that God or the Universe (as everyone likes to say) could actually answer, and they did -- I was gifted with an idea.

Just a small one, but still: I moved a small, rarely used lamp from the dining room into our kitchen, and put it on a timer for 5:30 am. That way, by the time we get to the kitchen with sleepy eyes at 6:00, there is a nice, soft light already waiting for us and no one will be able to scream "TURN IT OFF, IT'S TOO BRIGHT, MOMMY!" Excellent solution, if I do say so myself, and it even looks like I've put that lamp there for decorative purposes -- I always love "re-decorating" just by moving things around a bit.

KT was all smiles this morning when she saw that lamp and how well it solved her problem.

AJ, on the other hand, decided today for the first time, that HE would whine about the TV being too bright. AYFKM

(And naturally KT decided to balk at the outfit that SHE, HERSELF, chose last night before bedtime, according to the published rules of every parenting "morning rush-hour" article ever written on the Internet. "I DON'T WANT A TURTLENECK ANYMORE, MOMMY!!! UNH!! THESE SHOES DON'T FEEL RIGHT!")

Hahahahahahahaha. I swear: Crapshoot.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I missed reading yesterday, so just commenting on a 4-year-old's emotional rollercoaster today -- although M is inching towards acting 5 many days now, which is nice. I don't experience the morning routine. I leave the house at 7, and Darryl handles getting M to school. It will be all mine to experience next year. But I get it at night, when I'm too tired to handle it well many days. But at least there's not the we-have-to-get-out-the-door pressure of morning. M is coloring ALL THE TIME I MEAN IT'S AMAZING right now, too. Wish we were your neighbors -- she would so love KT.

P.S. I cried at the video two days ago, and I didn't even watch (since I take these warnings very seriously).

Alice said...

every time i read a story like this, it makes me want to call my own mom and apologize for my childhood :)