Girls, I have a really huge first-world problem. I don't know how to feel about COACH bags!
I mean, viscerally, I love them. They're mostly beautiful, especially the ones that are not trying to be whimsical. They were born in the 1970s, as was I. What's not to love about that? And the one item I do like to buy for myself is purses. I don't have a closet full of shoes like a lot of women, but my DH will confirm, I have drawers full of purses. Some recently from thirty-one, many from Target and Nine West. None from Coach.
On the other hand, now that it's been a million years since I decided I wanted one, EVERY PERSON ON EARTH and at my grocery store seems to have one, and I don't. And now, unfortunately, when I see one I get more ticked off than covetous, which makes me think I don't want one anymore.
How come everyone else has a COACH bag? In this economy?? Do people really pay three hundred ninety eight (!!!!) dollars at Macy's for them, or are they shopping at the cheapy-peepy-discount-Coach-online store, like I'm about to consider doing?
What's the deal? Are they cliche at this point? Would I be cooler if I did, or did NOT have one? Enlighten me, fashionistas. What do you think about Coach and do YOU have one?
11 comments:
I don't have a Coach bag. I'm too cheap for them and I would rather get a good deal on a bag at TJ Maxx (under $40) and then not feel guilty when I get tired of the bag or just want another. Spending that much money on something just isn't my style. PLUS, as you say, everyone has one now. OR, they have a knock-off, which makes having the real thing not so special.
Me again -- I went to the site you linked to and wanted to say that I ordered some things from a similar site last year (pointingtrade.com, which has been shut down for legal purposes, I think). It was a company out of China, I believe (some of the wording from that site you linked to made me think it might be from an Asian country.). They sold "name brand" clothing, shoes, jewelry, purses, etc. Some friends turned me on to it and several people ordered. The purses were really cute, but definitely not real. They looked real enough for me/friends for us to be happy about them, but don't plan on them being the REAL thing if you order. They were a bit cheaper (I think about $35).
Good luck!
Thank you for the website warning! If I DO get one I do want a real on, just at a better price.
I usually err on the side of "get a good deal at TJ Maxx", too. That must be why I'm so conflicted. ;)
I LOVE Coach, but I really dislike (most of) the super-logo'd bags. I love the expensive ones of course - the real leather ones. I have a black leather Coach hobo-style bag that I carry every day. My mom got it for me for Christmas last year; I've carried it nearly every day since and it still looks brand new. There is definitely something to be said for the quality! Other than that, I have a small Coach clutch that DOES have the ubiquitous C's all over it, but it's black-on-black so I don't mind it.
There is a Coach outlet about 30 minutes from my house where I've gotten GREAT deals, but there is NO way in hell I'd ever pay Macy's prices for a Coach bag. Though I have to say... for the leather, it's probably worth it.
(Sorry for the novel, I am like you - definitely a purse girl!)
(Should clarify - when I say "great" prices, I mean $100-$150 for a leather bag. Which, now that I have had the experience of carrying a Coach leather bag and know how well they hold up even with a kid in tow - I would definitely pay.)
I have been blessed with not one, but TWO coach bags, gifts from my sister when we were young and sans children. They are both several decades old now, but still in good shape. Okay, one is beginning to show its age, but even at the Coach outlet I get to maybe once a decade-ish, I don't buy a replacement because I have more than one addiction (ahem) to support in the fiber and computer-related fields.
Good luck and keep us posted!
I do not have one. I love a beautiful handbag, but I can't spend the money on them I would like to. I like some Coach bags, but not the logo-covered ones. If you can afford it, and YOU love it, you should get one, because you want one, not because you care about everyone else.
I LOVE COACH. My favorite! and heaven knows there are way way way more expensive bags out there that are more cool and popular...hello LV! Coach is classic. I get mine at mega-discount and I keep them FOR-EVAH! I will gladly send you my next secret link-only email sale! Very affordable that way...
My mom got my sisters each a Coach purse and, because I specifically asked for it, she got me a Keurig milk-frother so I could make my own steamers at home. But after they both opened theirs, now I want one too.
There is a Coach outlet about 40 minutes from here and I am going at some point this weekend to at least look and see what I'm willing to pay for one.
i've never been able to justify the Big Bucks for a purse because i am HARD on my bags. the one time i did shell out ($200ish? i think?) the handles were cracked and peeling after a few months, which was not cute. so i'm hesistant to go even MORE high end and get similar results.
I've never gotten the Coach love. I just don't feel it - to be fair, none of my friends have ever really been into it, either. If it's big here, well, I've never noticed! I tend to carry my purses for a long time and I am picky. It has to be JUST the right one. I had a lovely one I ordered from Etsy but it was faded and sad, and then I found my new one on Pinterest! I ordered it from Zappos and it's the most moolah I've ever spent on a purse! But I love it.
Post a Comment