Thursday, August 9

Lined up

Student Orientation today. At the public schools around here they call them “Sneak-a-Peek” days. I took AJ over to school, watched him carry his heavy new backpack (his first legitimate Jansport, non-character one!) down the big hill, met his teacher, crammed his desk full of supplies and fat textbooks (it really does get harder as they move up) and we were done. No big emotional deal, which is a first for Mommy, I’m embarrassed to admit. Usually I get teary – good tears – that this gets to be my life, taking my boy to a school that feels like home, seeing friends that feel genuine. Today it was just 3rd Grade, business as usual. I was still happy, and he was too, but it's just what we do. Normal.

He looked bigger – several teachers and parents said they could tell he’d grown taller. Praise God, since I pray for it daily. Bless his sweet heart; he may always be small, and that is perfectly okay with me, but I know it’s kinda tough on him right now. He has classmates who are taller than he (him?) by teens of inches. Taller than me. And he hasn’t lost any teeth yet! I’m told this means they’re healthy, and that his adult teeth will also be healthy blahblah, but MAN, do I wish he could get a visit from the Tooth Fairy before he’s too old to believe in her anymore! Pray with me, Internet.

Yesterday I went to the mall to buy KT her uniform skirts and shorts. (Nothing like leaving it ‘til the last minute, right?) TCP had exactly 2 khaki pleated skirts and 2 navy pleated skirts, in her size. I actually got one of them in a 5 (too big), because by February, she WILL be five. These will go with 2 navy polo shirts, and two gold/yellow polos, which her pre-K will order for her. She’ll also receive her very own school-logoed backpack (shh, it’s a surprise) when she starts next week. Pre-K! I can’t believe it. So big. Workbooks and backpacks and a navy blue headband to go with her uniform. She can't wait, I think. We're trying to make a Very Big Deal about it for her.

It’s going to be a good year. Really busy, to be sure. Jiu Jitsu, Ballet, Cub Scouts, maybe swim lessons (?), volunteering, having friends... plus a new niece on the way, and probably a trip to Disney at Thanksgiving, on the family side of the calendar. But this is The Life. An absolutely full, fun, good, healthy life. It has become so clear to me this summer: I can actually say, “I have it all.”

8 comments:

Tess said...

I'm so glad to hear you say he hasn't lost any teeth...Ava is a first grader this year and isn't even close, and to be honest I was kind of starting to wonder WTF.

Happy New School Year! Praise the lord, because I found summer to be one giant guilt-fest as a working parent.

Lee said...

I always get the summer guilt, too, Tess. It's the one missing thing about being a working mom, IMO.

I'm wanting to do a whole lot of extra stuff in this last week - swimming, going for ice cream unexpectedly, etc. - to prove to myself that my kids DID TOO have an exciting summer. (I think they did, mostly at the beginning, but the last few weeks have been pretty routine/boring.)

bessie.viola said...

Oh, this post... Lee, this makes me so happy. I love seeing my friends happy and fulfilled.

That said: YOUR KIDS ARE GROWING TOO FAST!!! I can't even stand it! I love that KT gets to start in her uniform this year; Madeline doesn't have to start hers until Kindergarten but I'm already SO excited about it. ;)

nicole said...

Ladiesi--I stay home and my kids have not had an exciting summer! Sure, we've been to the pool somewhat often, but we are not doing fun! and interesting! things every day. I know that it is still hard to be working--but don't beat yourselves up about it! Y'all are great moms!

Love the happiness in this post. Our school routine plus sports and church stuff will make for a crazy busy life, but it is good. Thanks for the reminder.

Sherry said...

Yeah, I'm going to agree with Nicole. I'm at home and glad to be here, but I feel guilt that she's not in Horizon-Expanding, Friend-Making, Exciting Camps like the other kids. Thanks for the nice post. And it was good to be able to tell Madison that it could be a while before she loses any teeth, because she is All About That.

Miss Night said...

Just popped over from AskMoxie, after seeing your comment about my comment there. My favourite blogs are the ones full of musings about daily life. Yours fits the bill perfectly. Happy New School Year to you and yours!

Lee said...

Hi, Miss Night! Thanks for the compliment! :) I look forward to getting to know you better!

Lee said...

@Sherry, it's so fun to see you say, "I'm at home and glad to be here"!!

!!! Dreams do come true.