Friday, September 13

State of the days

(From Tuesday) I really have SO much work to do right now. Like, if there isn't a list of products that I need to update in both English and Spanish (I don't translate 'em, I just copy/paste it in), then there's that email I need to write to that freelancer, and there's an article that needs editing for the other site, and there's also the statistics reports that haven't been done for this month and the email blast that still needs to be created and approved and sent out, today.

That's what I have on my list. There's no way all of that's going to get done today.

Annnnnnnnd I just got a phone call and I think I wasn't very kind to the person on the other end. I wasn't mean, I mean, I just expressed my annoyance in a noticeable way. Shame on me.

I don't know, some days it's just not a lot of fun, you know? It's fine, it's just not FUN. I want to be grateful for those days, and I am, but... meh.

We had a weekend day like that recently. Two days, in fact, and the kids thought so, especially: the days were fine, they just weren't fun. We had our normal easy Saturday morning, with waffles (Eggo, don't be fooled) and Cartoon Network and me on my phone. And then we went off to all the activities while DH mowed the lawn. Ballet on one side of the highway, jiu jitsu on the other. I dropped off and picked up and watched and taxi'd and went to the restroom in both places, and we even had a small snack in between. And then we ran errands -- haircuts, shoe buying, Lowe's Home Improvement shopping, the ushe (I looked it up; that IS how you spell it). Stuff we had to get done.

On Sunday, we went to Mass at 10:45, then drove across town to watch the first Falcons game of the season with our friends. It's always good to see them, and we ate awesome cheeseburgers!, but it's an hour-long haul to get there, and another hour back. Their boys are older than our kids, and usually they play really well together despite that difference in age, but the 14-year-old is now in high school and has less brain-space available for little guys. I understand. But I think my kids were bored. I felt bad that when we got home it was dinnertime, then - school night - bath and bed. We really felt kind-of cheated overall.

So Shawn and I (I'm still getting used to using real names here, it's weird) talked about how we have to be mindful and plan more FUN things. We have a lot of commitments on the weekends, but a day at the mountain, an easy trip downtown to see stuff, a picnic here and a frisbee game there -- we want to do these things for our kids. If they'll even appreciate them! Sometimes we spend so much time barking at the kids to "be kind to each other" and listening to "he is touching me!" -- tired old boring CLICHES! That are TRUE! -- that we can't enjoy fun things, anyway. Is it an attitude change on our part that's needed? Or kinder kids??

..........

(today, Friday) The whole week has just been FULL at work. Not terrible, just full. Meetings and tasks. There hasn't been time to let the mind wander too much. No solo lunch hours, for errands or a walk or just LUNCH, except I think Tuesday I went to the bank and the dry cleaners. I came back after 30 minutes because I had a lot of stuff to get back to. I had a "working lunch" yesterday with colleagues. It was longer than an hour, and paid for (nice!), but it wasn't relaxing. So I'm looking forward to yoga today, even though my manager IS here and will likely notice that I'm gone more than an hour. Hope she won't say anything. She started taking yoga, too, on her own inspiration at a different place.

We went to the Girl Scouts information meeting yesterday, Kate and I. My experience with Girl Scouts was short-lived, unfortunately, but I feel like she deserves a chance just like her brother has had with Cub Scouts. I can't be the troop leader, although part of me wants to (which Shawn finds baffling, given his Cub Scouts experience). I know I simply don't have the time and I can't get off work, anyway -- the meetings are Wednesdays at 3:30. It's good the info session was on a Thursday, my busiest day of the week when I always wonder, "Am I doing too much?" But I do hope some lovely moms step in, and volunteer, for Kate's sake. I'll help any way I can. I want to get plugged in to that group of women at our church/school.

That's the state of things. Moving right along and nearing October, which is hard to believe!

No comments: