Two things:
I have never liked dressing up for Halloween, as an adult. Maybe I did too much dressing up as a teen in community theater? Maybe I thought I didn't have any good ideas (and wasn't willing to spend $29)? Maybe I didn't think I could pull off the sexy-whatever that seems to be the norm for adult women costumes (definitely)...I don't know why.
But this year my office has a new HR manager, and a real need for some morale-boosting (it's just been a crummy few years with no social events at all), and so we're actually having a costume contest. And it's actually really fun. I'm Minnie Mouse. I already had a headband with the ears and the red bow from our last Disney trip, and I just safety-pinned white felt polka-dots onto a red t-shirt. Easy! (I also bought white gloves but it's awfully hard to type in them!)
The best part was Kate telling me this morning, "Everyone is going to love your costume, Mommy!" :) Awww. Made my day.
In previous jobs I've had, there were always the few people who dressed up, but everyone looked sideways at those weirdos. Without an official invitation, I never was motivated to do so myself. I'm glad of the planned requirement, this year.
Around the office, we have Rainbow Brite, a cowgirl, a "devil in a blue dress," (clever), a zombie, a guy wearing an Afro wig who says he's Bob Ross (love), a fortune teller, some other creative things, and several bah-humbugs who aren't dressed at all. The ones whose religions prevent them from celebrating Halloween (Jehovah's Witnesses, we have a few), I'll give a pass -- but the regular ol' people who just didn't feel like it, I'm now scowling in your general direction. Even though I used to be one of you.
---
Much scarier than Halloween, is the fact that at my kids' Catholic school now, they are having Intruder Drills along with Fire Drills and Tornado Drills. "Intruder Drills are where you have to HIDE, Mommy," Kate says in her 5-year-old, doesn't-even-know-what-"intruder"-means voice. She prefers the restroom to the closet, she says, and is glad Ms. Lane brings a flashlight.
I just can't... this is so incredibly sad. Leaves me feeling entirely hopeless for our world.
2 comments:
How cute you are! I was Goldilocks in this prim dress with humongous sleeves last night. Madison insisted. Agree about intruder drills. I was stunned when Madison first told me. But I was also glad. Madison can be slow to action and I'm just glad she'll know what to do. One bad thing happened to me when I was young, and I just wonder what the adults who surely saw it happening were thinking. Come on, people, pay attention and be prepared! I'm hoping that makes you feel better and not worse -- as in, the world isn't just recently going to h@!! in a handbasket -- it's always been there! Isn't that comforting! ;)
LOVED your costume - adorable!
And the Intruder Drills... reading that made me sick to my stomach. It's unthinkable. I fret about it all the time, honestly...but it's probably a good thing to have drills about it.
Post a Comment