Tuesday, January 21

3 Days, 0 Tantrums

I have to report that Kate's behavior has vastly improved, or at least it has the last few days.

We finally, a week ago, had a Family Meeting, where we all discussed and agreed on The Rules.

We posted the rules, in the kitchen and in each kid's bedroom.

We created a system of consequences (the tokens for screen-time thing that we used when AJ was about this same age) and she really seems able to focus on earning tokens, and losing them when she messes up. She especially likes to be ahead of her brother in the number of tokens in her possession.

I can't tell you how nice this three-day weekend was. Even when she's neared the slippery slope, she's managed, with some coaching, to compose herself and accept compromises. I am so, so proud of her, and I keep telling her so, and I am so relieved, for the moment.

*...cautiously tiptoes away...*

3 comments:

ya-ya ma said...

Congratulations! Here's hoping this will turn her around for good. Smart of you to think of it. xoxoxo

Sherry said...

How is it going? ("Cautiously tiptoes away" is hilarious, by the way.) Madison is in the cry-at-the-drop-of-a-hat stage, but the girl also doesn't get enough sleep. Have I mentioned this sleep problem (or scheduling problem) before? Like a billion times? Help!!!

Lee said...

3 days later, and it's still going pretty well. She had a little meltdown last night but it was directed at Alex, not me, haha. And I do think sleep has a LOT to do with it. It's so HARD to get them to go to bed earlier, though. Sending happy vibes to you and Madison!!