Tuesday, April 22

Calendars and tasks

I'm plowing through articles for work websites. Had to do a big "brain dump" this morning to get all the tasks out of my head, and I think it helped. I set a timer, tuned everything else out, and just typed.

Get the dry cleaning
Drop off the salad for Teacher Appreciation
Pay this bill
Scan that document
Write the behind the scenes article (work)
Fix the product description file
Call about moving truck
Sign kids up for summer camps
etc etc etc

There's a lot to do. The brain dump helps, though. Sometimes I do it on paper but I'm trying to break myself of that habit (again). So once the tasks are in Outlook (my planner of choice), I can schedule them on the Outlook calendar, and then my time is spoken for. Like this:


The theory is, you only have so much time in a day, so prioritize/schedule what fits in the allotted time and plan to do the rest later. I like it. It sometimes even seems like it gives me extra time, because, for instance, writing an email doesn't necessarily take the whole 30 minutes. I just wish I could stick to it.

Oh well, productivity once in a while is better than productivity never. (I think.) And a generally zen "everything is okay, it will all get done when it's supposed to" attutide helps as well.

If you've looked at the time stamp on this post you'll see that I'm supposed to be making website updates (TBCS is a website) right now. Heh. Guess I'll go do that and then I can reward myself with a trip to Target for Kleenex and TP. Woo! Lifestyles of the rich and famous! ;)

1 comment:

bessie.viola said...

I love that there is someone else out there who schedules time this way. I even have Outlook reminders that pop up 3 times each day with a WATER! demand. (I sometimes forget and then wonder why I have a raging headache.)

Brain dumps are so satisfying. I love having a list.