Today, I am so very grateful that all I am required to do is sit at my desk at work. After several nights' worth, and five full days over Memorial Day Weekend and through yesterday, of packing, cleaning, standing, pacing, worrying, packing, and oh-the-deep-cleaning, this is bliss. Let me say that again: TODAY, I am very very grateful to be at my desk, in my cubicle, in my computer job, sitting on my tail and not packing anything. ;)
It's only a small break, of course. After work today, I know I'll get right back into it with the unpacking, but guess what? It will be in our new house. It was so fun to take OUR keys there yesterday, after the closing, and see it empty. Other people's stuff -- even really nice stuff -- can get in the way of seeing the home itself, you know? And we were happy because this is definitely an upgrade. I forgot what fixture or feature made us say it, but we did, out loud. Even though we lost having a basement (to store a lot of crap when we don't know where else to put it), and even though the neighborhood is pool-less. ;) Upgrade. I feel like I want to explain that more: We don't need the house that many of our acquaintances, and even friends, seem to have. The brand-new, custom-kitchen, all-hardwoods basic petite mansion. And we are financially very conservative - we probably could have afforded a lot more than we bought, loan-wise. All we wanted was to get out of our declining neighborhood, and add a guest bedroom. And that's what we did. We also got granite counter tops as a bonus (but we gave up our stainless appliances). Does that help tell you? It's a step up, it isn't a leap -- and I am RELIEVED about that. I wouldn't know what to do with myself in a home like some of the kids' friends have. I guess this is what happens when you live in a metro area with a lot of giant companies' HQs like Coke and Home Depot and UPS. LOTS of people make LOTS of money. Anyway, we are so, so pleased with ourselves and excited to make the new home OUR HOME.
And to sit on my bottom today.
Shawn, bless him, ended up managing the move-out AND the move-in (today), on his days off. I don't think I need to record the whole, long story... well, no, it'll be funny someday.
We had planned it out so well. We thought the movers would be coming Tuesday morning. On Monday when I finally got a confirmation call about our appointment, I was told we had "the afternoon slot" instead. Ooookay. I took it as a gift, because there was still a lot to do. Tuesday, the kids went to school for a last 1/2-day, Shawn went to work, and I went to work finishing all the details. Stripped the beds of the comforters and sheets, and boxed those. Put all the lamps in bubble wrap and boxes. Used my last big box on the pantry/non-perishables, and everything fit exactly. I even had 15 minutes' time to deliver the little gifts I'd gotten for 2 of our neighbors, and to say goodbye. I was walking back home at 11:30. The movers were supposed to show up or call me around noon. Perfection. But they didn't arrive. By 2:00 my patience was out, so I called and they said they'd be there "around 4:15...or 5:00. Or 6:00 at the latest." And I blew up in the customer service guy's ear. I let him know how very displeasing that was... I had taken the day off work! I had things to do tomorrow (Wednesday), not to mention the SALE OF THE HOME, and could NOT reschedule this! And he placated me with "I understand, Ma'am. We'll send a crew just as soon as they're available."
Shawn got home around 6:00 and told me to take the kids -- who had been so good since coming home at noon, waiting with me -- and go eat dinner and go to the hotel. I had used the time waiting around to scrub bathrooms, clean the fridge, and as much other stuff as I could think of that wasn't the floors. So I was wiped, and I left. The movers got to our house at 7:00 pm #AREYOUKIDDINGME. Shawn was later complimentary to them, telling me how hard they worked, and how fast. (Whatever.) They had the truck filled to the brim by 11:00 pm. But guess what? They didn't get everything -- the truck wasn't quite big enough. Hahahaha! Ohmygod.
I'm done talking about it. Soon, distant memories. We have been exhausted the last two nights and sleeping on lumpy pillows in a crappy hotel. So our first night sleeping in our own beds again -tonight!- is going to be awesome. I can't wait. This story arc and "category: real estate" is mostly closed, I guess. What a relief, and what a gift to ourselves. I've had thoughts about it being serendipitous that this has all happened just days before I turn 40. An exciting beginning to Life, Part 2.
4 comments:
Hurray! What an accomplishment! Your house sounds great. I walk in lots of hardwood-floor, amazing furniture houses, and I think, "Nice. Should I be jealous?" But somehow I really, really don't care about that right now. Maybe someday. Hope not.
Congratulations on your new home!
Tonight! In your new home! YAY!!
Sleeping in your own beds again! Nothing better. :) So, so happy for you!! I can't wait to hear more about the new place and the blessing I'm sure it will be for your family.
Post a Comment