Friday, November 7

6 Quick Takes (no time for 7)

I think Mom & Dad probably worry a little when I don't post for more than a week. Everything's fine, though - just busy. :)

Let's do this in the ol' Seven Quick Takes format:

1. I almost started a blog post the other day, when I got my weekly "Prayer Team" email from the parish. (I joined the "prayer team," which they call "Prayer Warriors," which I kind-of strongly dislike.) There was a request that said, and I quote, "For a family who has problem [sic] with bees in one room of their house; pray that the pest control company will be able to get rid of the bees."

"Really? We're praying about bees?!" I thought. Meanwhile, the choir director who needs a kidney was not on the list. (I mean, he's on the general prayer list of course, but I was offended on his behalf, and also.... bees.) I don't know, I guess if I had bees in my house I wouldn't be too pleased, but I am fairly certain I wouldn't call up the parish office and ask for it to be put on the PRAYER list. What the heck.

2. Yeah, so the choir director -- MY choir director, my FRIEND -- needs a kidney translplant and donation. He had heart surgery 2 years ago, and it went okay but there was a coma and some complications and ever since, his kidneys have not been doing well. He'd been put on The List - the national transplant list - a long while back, but in October, his doctor told him that it was worse than they thought, and he needs a translplant ASAP. He's been fitted with a catheter for home dialysis, and he flat-out asked the choir to consider donating. He also went home to visit family, and I'm hopeful that a cousin or something will be moved to donate, one, because even cousins have a better genetic match probability, and two, that takes the pressure off.

Because also: He's O+, and so am I (pretty sure)... and he needs a kidney that's less than 63 years old, which counts out the vast majority of my fellow choir members.

I've been struggling with this.

Immediately when he asked, I thought to myself, "This could be your big gift to the world." I don't know why I thought that. It feels right to at least consider it -- I mean, how terrible would I feel if no one does offer a kidney, and he died? Here I sit, very healthy and only (only!) 40! I could likely get through a surgery just fine. I mean, yes, it opens the donor up for possible complications and all. And that's why anyone would hesitate. But then an evil little corner of my mind even whispered, "You could get a break! Time off work because you had a major surgery." I don't know why I would even tell anyone that, but... Well. Barring that stupidity -- from what I've read, the recipient's insurance pays for it. And he's a friend. I'd hate for him to think his friends WOULDN'T donate a kidney for him. How unloved would you feel?

It's really eating at me. Monsignor put a notice in the bulletin, as well, so I'm hopeful that someone else is braver, faster than me. I wonder how much time we actually have. Please put ME on the prayer list (right after the bees).

3. How weird would it be for your kidney to be in someone else's body, on the other side of the piano where you rehearse together every week? Hi, kidney! Truly weird. I'm not trying to be funny, even. I really think that would be surreal.

4. One of the reasons I hopped on here was to put some ideas for Christmas gifts out there in the world, so I don't forget them and also to help some of the family members who read this blog who might want ideas. :)

For A & K, we've already bought one big gift. Haven't decided yet if it's going to be from The Jolly Old Elf or from the parents, but it's a Disney Infinity game for the Xbox, and a couple of extra characters. (look it up). We also have a nice case for trading cards for Alex.

For Kate, I want to get some crafty things, like a Spool Loom, or some needlepoint or cross-stitch. She seems to really like those kinds of things and I loved them, too, when I was about her age. I think, too, she needs things like that to develop her focusing skills.

I haven't yet asked them what their "wants" are, but Kate busted out with "I don't want to ask for anything this year; I don't want to seem greedy," and shocked us all. Pleasantly, but still. I think they want that little robot dog, the Zoomer? Or a real dog, I think....ooooh, Honey.... ?.... or no, maybe not.... not yet in our new house.

5. I'm not afraid of being greedy: I would like a new bathrobe, a Pioneer Woman cookbook, some Kirkland's giftcards, the Mitford series (read 'em years ago but don't have them anymore), a book by Cary Elwes (the actor) called As You Wish, and the Princess Bride movie to go with it, sweaters, boots (size 7), socks... See? Plenty of ideas.

6. Shawn, feel free to chime in, in the comments, with some things that you promise not to buy for yourself before December 26th. :) xo!  (and Mom, you too!)

4 comments:

ya-ya ma said...

How generous of you to even consider donating a kidney! Wow.

Lee said...

I don't know that I'm REALLY considering it. It's pretty hard to fathom. But I'm flirting with the idea of considering it. He's such a good guy. I don't know.

Sherry said...

Hey! OK, I'm going to just say what I'm thinking -- don't donate. I could be a really bad person. Yes, I am probably not a great person. But what if you get diabetes or something in the future? I also filled out our church pledge card this morning, and I did not go up on the amount we are donating. So, don't feel you should listen to Ms. Average Person here. The last Jan Karon book I read was Home to Holly Springs -- I want the new ones for Christmas!

Lee said...

Ha! Sherry, I LOVE your comment and advice. Ms. Average Person. heehee! You're probably right, I mean, seriously, that's a huge gift/commitment. I think Shawn thought I was crazy when I came home and spoke these thoughts out loud to him. If it was my sister or mother or father or Shawn, absolutely an easier choice. (I haven't gone up in my church pledge in a few years, either.) ;)