Thursday, February 5

Kate's 7th

We've been planning Kate's ... pardon me, Katelyn's (she is going by Katelyn in first grade, her teacher tells me)... birthday slumber party for a while now. In the fall, she was invited to a 5th-grader's birthday slumber party, because the 5th-grader has a 1st-grader sister who is Kate's BFF. Kate thought that party was The Bee's Knees, and she has wanted to do All The Sleepovers since she was much too young for them (3), because her brother was already sleeping over at friends' houses.... so a slumber party it finally is. We invited 5 girls: Calli (aforementioned BFF), Micah, Ady Grace, Reagan, and Kate (the other Kate). I love their names, and the girls themselves. I put them here so that someday after they've all moved on, I can have a nice happy memory of each of their sweet little faces. One declined (out of town), and we've heard from all but one of the remaining four, so it promises to be a fun night.

I want to have some sort of craft for them to do, so I'm going to hit Hobby Lobby and Party City this weekend. I'd thought decorating some no-spill water bottles would be a good idea; then, they could take drinks upstairs to the guest room/playroom safely. I am hopeful that room is where they'll mostly stay. We've set up a TV in there, and the Wii and Xbox 360, which should cover Just Dance and Kinect Party, two games that Kate likes. There are board games in the cabinet. Kate's dolls are (ahem) still in boxes in the closet... and all over the house, besides, so they could have an epic game of "House" or "Friends" or "School" or whatever. We can do a Netflix movie from the Wii, and then pizza and cake, and I have to figure out what's for breakfast. I'm thinking about these French Toast muffins. 

She wants a Barbie Dream House, and even though it's $165goodlord, I'm thinking of granting that wish. :) I kinda wanted one, too, when I was her age, though I might not have ever asked for it -- and heaven knows I still play Barbies (when she wears me down enough that I can't say no)....I'm sure I should willingly agree, because they're only young once, and all, but... well, at least with Barbies you can spend most of the time brushing their hair and changing their clothes.

WHY is it so hard to play pretend when you're a parent?? Is it that adult brains are filled with every other thing and there's no room for imagination? (Sad state.) Sometimes when I'm working in the kitchen, I can at least muster enough energy to call her "Emily," and she'll walk around with her purse, taking calls from "Derek," and taking care of the babies ("Layla" and "Avery" and recently, "Lisa"). It's SO uninteresting to me and I can't figure out why. You'd think it would still be fun! To act like a kid again? But... no. It isn't fun.

---

Meanwhile, Alex's buddy, Brandon, will also be staying with us next week, from Wednesday night through Sunday afternoon. !! His parents are divorced, there was a scheduling conflict, and the mom asked for our help while she goes out of town. I was quick to say yes -- how can you say no to a single mom who needs help? Plus, she's very sweet -- and although it will be a bit chaotic, it's hardly a strain to have one more kid to take to and pick up from school. We're going that way already. I think it'll be fun for all the kids. (Mom, remember when Betsy and Patrick stayed with us for a couple of weeknights during the schoolyear? I do, somewhat fondly, and that's one reason I didn't think twice about saying yes. Breakfast cereal with friends before school just seems unusual and fun to me. Hee.) I hope he also likes ham sandwiches in his lunchbox!

Alex has been writing essays for his English class. Or, I should say, he has been worrying over essays for English class. I feed him ideas and then he can get going, but I'm not going to be able to do that for long or he'll start relying on me. He gets SO frustrated, but the end product is usually very good. I love that he's writing "for real." Compare and Contrast. Intro, Body Body Body, Conclusion. So fun!! OH, and he's using FORMULAS in math! Area of a triangle = b x 1/2h. (I always said "1/2bh", I think, but same thing. [isn't it?]) Math. Didn't realize how much I liked math until high school/college, I don't think.

These kids are growing up so fast. I'm glad they still need hugs and cuddles from Mommy. Kate still asks to be picked up and hugged on a daily basis -- last night I got a big, her-head-on-my-shoulder, lonnnnng hug -- and Alex initiates it more often than I would think he would at ten, and I'm a lucky, lucky Mom for both of those reasons. :)

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Hey there! On your choir friend -- wow! People are shocking in their goodness. Capable of so much passion in good and bad ways. (I've always hated using the word passion ever since that Stein writer used it all the time -- remember that? Or was he a designer -- can't remember anymore.) On the Kate and Alex post -- it brought tears to my eyes -- because Madison and I have been so tired lately, and when we have a rare 15 minutes to sit down and "play pretend," it hasn't been going well. The things you say make me feel better about it all. She seems to need more sleep than ever right now -- school and activities are wearing her out or she's growing or something -- so I just need to focus on getting her to bed early and not worry that she's not getting to play much. Santa got Madison a Dream House for Christmas, and I must say that she put it away and hasn't played with it since, though she really wanted it. But she plays with Ponies rather than Barbies, so I should have gone with my gut and gotten her a smaller house that would be a fit for the Ponies. But maybe she'll play with it someday. All is well around here, by the way! Yay!!!