Wednesday, March 25

Annual-Lee

Time for my annual "I'm holding on by a thread re: Summer Scheduling and planning" post. Mix in a dash of Too Many Work Tasks that I also can't seem to keep track of (why so many online programs that generate not only tasks, but also email reminders of the tasks, Work? GAH) and you've got one mama who drinks wine on Tuesday evenings. And maybe Wednesdays, too.

Bleh. For once, this year, I feel like the kids won't be "stuck" too many weeks at their daycare summercamp, and as far as I can tell, the weeks they will be going there, at least there are field trips and swimming planned. I appreciate the summer calendars they create in February. I hope they're accurate. (They're not.)

Anyway, here's the lineup:

May 25-29 Memorial Day Weekend. I suppose we'll go to Nanny's for MD Weekend as usual, though we haven't actually spoken with her or planned it yet. When we get back: KRK

Jun 1-5 Alex will be at Winshape. Kate, as of 5 minutes ago, is signed up for a 9-5 camp at her Gymnastics Academy.

Jun 8-12 Alex will still be at Winshape, and Kate wants to attend "American Girl camp" held at a Christian school near here. I'm not opposed to that, just need to figure out how to register for it (and ask them if it requires an actual AG doll or if a Target knock-off will suffice).

Jun 15-19 They are both signed up for an Art Camp at one of the county parks. Woo! I'm happy about that one. Something different, something together. They both love art. The theme is "The Case of the Stolen Statues" in the mornings, and they'll do clay handbuilding (not pottery wheels) in the afternoons.

Jun 22-26 Destin! Family vacation! Thank you, mom and dad!

Jun 29-Jul 3 Pensacola! Shawn and Lee get a week "off" from our parenting jobs. Thank you, mom and dad!

Jul 6-10 KRK  I was considering another week at gymnastics, and letting Alex go there, too, but it would cost more than $500 and KRK is only around $375.

Jul 13-17 Alex goes to BSA camp in North Carolina. TOO FAR AWAY! Mama doesn't like. Kate I think will go to KRK that week.

Jul 20-24 Both to KRK

Jul 27-31 Both to the other grandma's in Savannah. In fact, since we couldn't send them there last year or the year before, I'm hoping she'll be up for keeping them through August 7. School starts after that, but KRK is closed, NATURALLY, the week of Aug 3-7. Argh.

I won't say I hate summer, but I do hate one thing: I hate being 40 years old but still having to delicately ration my/our vacation days. I wish American companies would be more generous with vacation time (and mine is, actually, pretty generous in comparison). Is that too much to ask?

3 comments:

bessie.viola said...

That looks like you've got things handled! Your kids are going to have a great, fun summer! I was just thinking about this last night and wishing that there were more camps like this in my area - there's not much, and I know that Madeline would LOVE an art camp. LOVE. Will have to do some more research.

Also... I am in so much agreement with you about vacation/leave in the US. This year, 5 of my vacation days have gone to my kids being sick. FIVE. I only get 3 weeks, so that's a significant chunk, but I can't use *TOO* much sick leave or I get side-eyed by mgmt. It's really hard to find a good balance. :(

Sherry said...

Well, this is the time of year I start wondering if I'm not stimulating Madison enough during the summer. She will be hanging out with me while I try not to feel guilty about 1) working while she plays/reads alone and 2) not working while I play with her. But, I know, I am SO lucky!!

Lee said...

Sherry, I just want you to know that I FEEL your pain, as well. I can't imagine it, but I know your side of this story is hard, too. You can't take her to do something amazing every single day, of course! That would be crazy. And expensive. When I was little, though, I only had one or two weeks of a summer camp or VBS, and the rest of the time we entertained ourselves and we liked it! Backyard, Barbies, the hose! riding bikes, reading (loooots of reading)... and uphill both ways! I know Madison is FINE and you're awesome. :) I've loved seeing a few of D's pics online lately - you all look wonderful! MISS YOU. We are gonna spend vaca days to get to Charleston one of these days.