Small things in the grand scheme but I need to vent a few thoughts about work today. Not the way I usually do! Just about the way my company seems to operate. UGH. You won't believe it.
In the last 2 weeks it was decided to split my job description in half and hire someone to replace one half of my function, without telling me beforehand. They told me on a Friday, New Guy started the very next Monday.
This is bad enough on its own. But they way they're treating and "training" him -- and I use the terms very loosely -- is frustrating me even more. On his first day, my manager set up three meetings, me with New Guy. Not her, too -- no "leadership" involved, just hello, here is your replacement, start training him. No instruction about these meetings, just a title that appeared in my calendar. "B2B training, 10:00 am." No pre-training discussion at all about how these responsibilities are going to be divided in the future, if I'm handing them off completely or if/how we will split the tasks. I don't know what New Guy knows, or what he doesn't. So I did the sessions, but he hadn't yet had any BASIC company training, like WHAT PRODUCTS WE SELL, or anything. It's... been a cluster.
Aside from that, his 2nd day here, his (my) manager was out of town. She had scheduled him a few meetings, I guess, but I think he was floating around, mostly unsure what to do. I know he left early that day with her blessing (via email), because she didn't have anything else for him. Fine, understandable. Did I mention he was taking notes on printer paper he scrounged up? He was given no supplies. No legal pad. No company catalog. Nothing to study besides what I had emailed him for our "trainings." Nothing.
Today he asked me, "Is there like, a microwave around where I can warm up something?" AYFKM?! I would have done these types of things -- building tour, product catalog introduction -- but I wasn't given a copy of his schedule and didn't know if someone else was already doing it. I assumed they were but GUESS WHAT? Nope.
Finally yesterday, I think my role has been sorted out by my new bosses. There was definitely miscommunication among upper management because my current boss and my future bosses had differing opinions about my tasks. The timeline for "transition" has been established. I'm to keep working on my same stuff, status quo, until Sept 30, and train/transition as necessary. After that, I leave X, X, and X responsibilities behind and do only Y responsibilities. I will be suuuuuuper grateful for that day. In the meantime I have to decide when/how to train and share my stuff, because apparently no one else will tell me. That's fine, I am a responsible person and could manage a team better than they are, obviously, so I can manage this, but ZOMG, as we used to say.
ZOMG.
2 comments:
Wow. Amazing. I am constantly amazed. Well, this sounds like a good thing for you! Right?!
YES! In the end, I think I should be much happier. I even negotiated a title change so that, NOW THAT I'M 41 YEARS OLD and have been on the "career path" for 20 of those years, I can graduate from being a fricking "COORDINATOR." (New title: Global Content Specialist.) High time. What's next? An office with a door, maybe?? Fingers crossed.
Not that I'm bitter.
Post a Comment