I feel compelled to tell someone that I'm enjoying an afternoon of working at home today. I was sure my manager wasn't going to approve it, but lo and behold, she proved me wrong, so here I am. Both kids are watching their shows with headphones on, for a little while until I make them go do something constructive, and I'm sitting here feeling content and grateful, with my pumpkin spice candle burning -- and oh, yeah, actually getting some work done, too. Mildly important.
It's interesting that part of why I'm feeling good is because I was entrusted with two fairly important projects at work. And they're getting done. This morning I was kicking ass and taking names on those two projects! Helping the president of the company, thank you very much. And also because yesterday, I did the annual helping-with-inventory at our warehouse. I dread that day every year, but while I'm there, I usually enjoy it. It's a distraction; the workday goes much faster when you only have 3 scheduled breaks to look forward to. You know you must work until 10:30, then take 15 minutes, then work until 12:30, and after lunch again at 3:30, you get a 15 minute break.
I'm considering setting up my regular days the same way. Isn't that silly? On my own schedule, I will dork around 'til the cows come home, taking the 5-minute break here to check Facebook, there to read a blog post, everywhere 5 minutes. (Sometimes 10; I do enjoy my 10-minute walking break that I try to do every day, especially now that the weather's cooled down.) Yesterday I was reminded that the longer breaks are a lot more satisfying. Hmmm. Something to think about.
Anyway, the day away from my desk and the gift of a work from home Friday afternoon have improved my week SIGNIFICANTLY.
Also: I am no-more bound to the no-good manager -- my time as "E-business and PR Coordinator" is officially over, and I am on the Global Marketing team, hooray hooray! I'm hopeful this will improve things in a long-term way. Goodbye, Store Locator spreadsheets! Goodbye, "Help Desk" duties! Goodbye, requests from random salespeople to help their customers download photos, or manage their own Facebook pages! I will SO not miss you.
Amen and amen!
1 comment:
Hey, congratulations, Global Marketing Team Person! That's awesome! Way to go!
And in your more recent post, "hilarious/nauseating" made me laugh -- thank you!
Post a Comment