Christmastime is here! Whether we're ready for it or not, and surprise, surprise, I'm probably not! I saw a photo from October on my Facebook feed the other day, and I thought, wait, isn't it still October? Even though I know very well that all of November is already behind us (and some of December, even)! It's crazy, how time works -- how the days are long but the years are short. And I mean, I try to "just take one day at a time." You'd think that would make me extra-aware of what day/month/year it is. But, no.
Anyway, we have actually placed orders on Amazon Prime (Prime is the BEST), so at least we're not totally behind in the Santa Claus department. They're both definitely suspicious about S.C., and Alex may already be completely in the know, although he's not letting on. One of my friends says she tells her kid, "If you don't believe, you don't receive!" To me that's a little harsh, but I'm at the point where I kinda WANT them to figure it out. Partly so we get the THANK YOUS we deserve, heh, and partly so I can wink and waggle my eyebrows and talk about it in that fun, conspiratorial way.
I've not even thought about Christmas cards, but we did decorate...
I have to stop right here and one LAST time, "publicly" thank Shawn for all his hard work this past weekend. He had just told me Friday afternoon he was feeling his annual "anti-Christmas" feelings (don't we all?), and that I should be warned, and I was... but then I insisted anyway, that we were doing the tree and then HE was doing lights outside the house all weekend, plus raking/blowing leaves.... basically I said, "Christmas, here: Make It Happen" and he did. He worked ALL day Sunday, 9 to 9, save for the hour when I made him take me/us to brunch with Santa at the Country Club, and have a holiday mimosa with me, and LIKE IT.
So THANK YOU, Darling Husband, I love you so. This is just the way of the world, it seems, for husbands and wives. I think of our friends Jason and April, and I am certain she gives him her Instructions, and he is Expected to carry them out, and at least I'm not quite THAT brazen about it, I don't think.
The school Christmas program is already out of the way, Santa brunch, check, and so this weekend's activities include dinner out Friday night with our couple-friends Christina and Bobby, and the choir Christmas party Saturday night. I'm skipping choir on Sunday because I detest the song we're doing. Ha! I've never skipped for that reason, but I have done this song a zillion times with this choir and with another choir, and even though most people say it's SO BEAUTIFUL (Cantique de Jean Racine, by Faure), I still just hate it. The soprano has a few notes too low for comfort, (below "the break," as they say, which for me is lower than about A above middle C) and it's supposed to be sung in French, but we always sing it in English. Bleh. Actually, I don't even love it in French. It's boring to sing. Sorry, Faure. So, Sunday we can either go to the mall or wrap presents or do something FUN, after 9:00 Mass (or Saturday vigil). Lord knows Kate will demand we do SOMETHING FUN.
Oh, and I'm having my December cold right now, so hopefully that means it will be gone by Christmas Eve/Midnight Mass! Two winning years on that score, woo!
No comments:
Post a Comment