Naturally, I failed to update my passport "just in case" so today I spent 2 hours at the Post Office waiting for my turn for a terrible photo, so they could stamp "EXPEDITE" on my envelope.
But I'm going to Germany, to company HQ, in July. My manager's parting "gift" to me as she resigns, to move herself into, as she described it, an "8 to 5" job where she doesn't have to travel, since she wants to start a family. (Only slightly ironic since she's making me, who already HAS a family, leave the country on Alex's birthday. But I digress. Or split hairs.)
I'm not bummed about the trip, actually, except for my hesitance toward international travel in general, and travel during European HOLIDAY season which I know from experience can be an airline nightmare. It will be fun to meet some of my colleagues in person and, I mean, Germany! Reinauer! I'm going home, haha! (ALSO: BEER!)
I AM really bummed about the timing/short notice, and that I had to shell out extra for my expedited passport. And about the birthday. I know Alex will not really care up front, and Kate will be okay too, and Shawn will be okay. I just never saw myself as a world-traveling-working mom, I guess. Domestic, mayyyyybe. What I hope is that They - the corporate They - won't see this as their gateway to making me travel regularly. I am not interested in going abroad as a frequent flyer, TYVM.
Sigh. I don't know. Sherry, remember when we traveled to SWU (ATL to Charlotte, woo!) when we both had babies at home? That sucked. Thankfully they're not babies anymore, but still.
Germany! Beer! (trying to be excited)
1 comment:
Did I tell you that when my parents took us to Jamaica in January that we had to get expedited passports? We were there FOREVER and it cost SO MUCH for the three of us and the passport lady was HORRIBLE! Seriously -- she was trying to leave early and we had to beg her to do our passports and she was practically shouting and my hands were shaking -- EEK!
I had forgotten about SWU -- I knew I had left Madison overnight but I couldn't remember why! Working with small kids and working without small kids -- no comparison.
A Germany trip sounds incredibly exciting! Amazing that you have that opportunity! I want to travel!! I hope you just enjoy the heck out of the experience!
Post a Comment