Tuesday, June 28

Vacation is better, and two book reviews

It's been another 19 days or so, fully packed with activities and summer fun.

We picked up Kate at summer camp. She was barely interested in seeing me when we entered her cabin on pick-up day. (No giant hug, can you believe that?! She asked, "Where's Daddy?") She hadn't yet transitioned back to the real world and admitted that she didn't want to leave. In short, she had an amazing time just like we knew she would, and even made a friend that she's keeping in touch with (in this day and age the moms exchange cell numbers and the kids text!).

The very next day we packed up and pointed the car toward the Gulf of Mexico. As always, it was a week in the sunshine, with pool time and family time (cousins!) and lots of reading.

I read this book that I am having SO MANY feelings about! Finished it 3 days ago, and I think I'm finally over it...mostly. It's a Philippa Gregory, but I'm so glad it wasn't the first one I read by her, because it was terrible. And yet, so compelling. The main character was a Downton-Abbey-Lady-Mary-like daughter who couldn't inherit, but unlike Mary she had no morals whatsoever. Although she did get her comeuppance by the end of the story, even that wasn't quite satisfactory. It was the first of the Wideacre trilogy. At first, I thought I would certainly want to read the second book, but I have since decided against it. Still, I devoured this one - truly spent ALL of my free time reading its 650 pages at the beach - and I can't figure out if Gregory's writing style was what intrigued me, or just the utter dislike of that character, or the time period, or what.

Before Wideacre, I read Celia Garth, which was MUCH better. Big fan of that one. Totally recommend you read it; it's about Charleston during/after the Revolutionary War and simply charming. Well, a little tedious during the actual wartime, but I think that was on purpose, to illustrate the tedium and hardship of war itself. Still: Lovable characters.

After THAT, we drove north to Virginia to wish Nanny a happy 90th birthday. We were tired, and tired of driving, but glad to celebrate such a sweet lady and see some of Shawn's numerous cousins that we never see.

We're back at work, and the kids are going to gymnastics camp in the mornings.

Last week was better, but so far this week's okay. 

No comments: