Tuesday, December 6

A little cold

It's been a while since I had any specific "working mom" woes. Since July, I guess, when I had to leave the country on Alex's birthday. But today Kate woke up feeling crummy, and I/we had to tell her to suck it up. Not in those words.

If I weren't working it would be so easy to let them stay home when they only feel a little bit bad. She didn't have a fever, no headache; she's just had a tight chest and sniffles for 3 days. She said, "The classroom is out of tissues and when I have to cough, it's loud," and she's felt self-conscious about it. So if I COULD stay home, gosh, wouldn't it be nice to just cuddle up with her and say, "It's okay, honey, let's just go back to sleep and stay in all day. Don't breathe on me." Especially on a day like today where it was POURING rain this morning. Sigh.

But that might not be the right call. Maybe kids need to learn that they make daytime cold medicines so we can get through days like this (a thing I actually told her this morning, to convince her to TAKE the TRIAMINIC even though she was protesting mightily). I know I've relied on DayQuil many days when I'd rather have been in bed. This is the real world, better get used to it. Toughen them up.

Ah, well. Anyway. It's fine, she'll be fine. I'm not sad over it, just thinking. She took the meds, went to school, and I trust Shawn will judge, when he picks her up, whether or not she can go to gymnastics, or if she should come home instead. I pray we didn't push too hard today. Obviously I'm taking my laptop home with me today just in case. (Maybe even hopefully.) If a fever develops, at least I'll be ready. Here, sweetie, eat an orange. Eat two. Early bedtime tonight. Feel better.

No comments: