I clicked on my 'Kate' category early this morning and have found myself unable to stop reading. Today she turns nine. Right about now, in fact, 9:23 a.m. What a moment it was, her birth. We had no idea who/what was coming. ;)
I wrote in my gratitude journal: She completes us. Challenges us. Energizes us. Loves us. Tests us. And teaches us. I love that baby girl with all my heart. I pray again for guidance in teaching her. For calm. For wisdom. For patience and mercy. To pour out God's love on her, for her. To understand her better. To encourage her. To lift her up.
I've been s l o w l y learning it all these nine years that it's me, not her. If *I* can control my reactions to her wild and creative and not-like-mine personality, if I can go slowly, then she'll probably follow suit. If I can't, if I let my expectations get in the way, or let my feelings get hurt, nothing works. Mothers and daughters. I never, never guessed it would be this hard. But I also never guessed a person could fill me so much, with her sparkle, her spunk, her silliness, her talent, her joy, and the weight of her sadness, when she feels it. My goodness, daughter. You're a gift and a blessing and part of God's mystery! No doubt about that.
Anyway, she opened her gifts this morning before getting dressed - her request - and seemed to love them all. A teal water bottle with a soft spout. The Little House on the Prairie box set (my heart!!). Some new clothes. A DVD ("Trolls"). New teal headphones. This weekend, we're having a big shopping day with her friend Ady Grace. Lunch at the Food Court, maybe pedicures, maybe a movie.
Today after school she'll go to choir practice, but then we'll feast on fettucine alfredo, and probably shrimp. Favorites for my favorite girl.
She's an artist.
She's a singer.
She's a good friend.
She's a character, a big personality.
She's persistent.
She's courageous.
She's smart.
She's fun to be around.
She's going to go far.
2 comments:
I like "part of God's mystery." Nine year old girls. Love them.
Oh, KT! NINE! Happy happy days... here's to a fantastic year ahead! <3
Post a Comment