Today I had a craving for chocolate. I have had several great food days in a row, including my delicious lunch today of roasted potatoes and broccoli, some chicken breast, and chicken-sausage (yum!)… but for some reason, I could not stop wanting something sweet. And Lara bars were not going to do. Actually, I ate a square of the Lara bar I’ve had at my desk, Peanut Butter Cookie flavored. It didn’t help.
I’d been to Target to get a birthday card for Susan, and decided, “I’m a grown-up woman with 2 Indulgence points, and by gosh if I want chocolate, I’m going to have some!” So I bought a Ghirardelli dark bar. When I got back to work, I carefully opened the outer box and peeled open that whisper-thin gold foil. Then I glanced at the Nutrition label (habit, you know) – a serving size is 3 squares. I only broke off two – partly for symmetry (who breaks off three squares?) and partly because... if it wasn’t a whole serving, maybe I wouldn’t even count it as a deducted point! Total cheat, I know.
Next, I clicked over and re-read Leo Babauta’s The Art of Tasting Chocolate Mindfully, because I really wanted to enjoy this indulgence, and I love that post. I’ve read it many, many times before. You should too, if you haven't.
Well, what a treat. I snapped the bar. I inhaled deeply before ever going for it. Even the inhale was a treat! (I’ve been doing that a lot, and enjoying it, with the kids’ cookies, cinnamon rolls, etc. during this challenge.) It was the slowest I’ve ever eaten a square of chocolate. The only ‘flavor notes’ I tasted were a hint of marshmallow, and just the deep cocoa, but man, did I enjoy that square. After about 10 minutes I looked up and I hadn’t even eaten ¾ of it – I’d been breaking off small bites. To my surprise, I could barely finish it. I put the 2nd square back in the package. One was plenty, eaten slowly and after nearly 8 weeks without sugar except from fruits or the occasional birthday dessert.
I’m just amazed. I used to go through 2 or 3 squares at a time at work, and wonder how they disappeared so fast!
I’d been to Target to get a birthday card for Susan, and decided, “I’m a grown-up woman with 2 Indulgence points, and by gosh if I want chocolate, I’m going to have some!” So I bought a Ghirardelli dark bar. When I got back to work, I carefully opened the outer box and peeled open that whisper-thin gold foil. Then I glanced at the Nutrition label (habit, you know) – a serving size is 3 squares. I only broke off two – partly for symmetry (who breaks off three squares?) and partly because... if it wasn’t a whole serving, maybe I wouldn’t even count it as a deducted point! Total cheat, I know.
Next, I clicked over and re-read Leo Babauta’s The Art of Tasting Chocolate Mindfully, because I really wanted to enjoy this indulgence, and I love that post. I’ve read it many, many times before. You should too, if you haven't.
Well, what a treat. I snapped the bar. I inhaled deeply before ever going for it. Even the inhale was a treat! (I’ve been doing that a lot, and enjoying it, with the kids’ cookies, cinnamon rolls, etc. during this challenge.) It was the slowest I’ve ever eaten a square of chocolate. The only ‘flavor notes’ I tasted were a hint of marshmallow, and just the deep cocoa, but man, did I enjoy that square. After about 10 minutes I looked up and I hadn’t even eaten ¾ of it – I’d been breaking off small bites. To my surprise, I could barely finish it. I put the 2nd square back in the package. One was plenty, eaten slowly and after nearly 8 weeks without sugar except from fruits or the occasional birthday dessert.
I’m just amazed. I used to go through 2 or 3 squares at a time at work, and wonder how they disappeared so fast!
1 comment:
Wow. I reminded myself to LIVE more mindfully today, so this is a good post for me!
Post a Comment