Friday was the last half-day of school, and I happily requested a work-from-home afternoon so that I could pick the kids up on time. There was a birthday party to attend in the park at 1:30, and we'd been asked to drive one of Kate's friends, so we went to Panera for lunch, and then over to the park. It was a perfect, perfect day for it -- sunny but breezy, and not too hot. I loved getting to stand in the shade with the moms and dads while the kids ran around, ate ice cream, and lined up for the pinata. I hadn't been planning to stay there that long, actually, but it ended up just fine since the ol' manager was on vacation. Wink, wink. When we got home at 3:30 I sat down with the laptop and worked for 2 hours, and called it good enough. (I still feel the need to log each hour, and Friday I only worked 6, but I hadn't taken many lunches during the week so it evened out.) **Note to self: I love this kind of flexibility. This job allows it sometimes.**
Friday night (after Shawn had mowed the grass since he got home early, too), Kate convinced us we needed to go to the pool to celebrate. We knew it would be cold water, because it'd been raining most of the week, but she didn't let that stop her... and the idea of not cooking dinner was definitely appealing to me! I'm glad we went. Even though I annoyed her by not getting into the pool myself (just sitting with my feet in), I think she and Alex had fun. Even Alex admitted, though, that the water was cold. We ate some delicious fish tacos (me) and wings (Shawn), then headed home.
Guess who fell asleep at 9:00 and didn't wake up until 11:00? That's right, Shawn. Not me!
Saturday morning we didn't have piano lessons, which was another nice break. Instead, we got dressed and went to test drive a car! With ice water in our veins, we said. "Just to drive it," we said. But they got us (of course they did) with an offer of $10,000 off a 2016 model. That's four zeroes off. Lucky I'd brought the checkbook just in case. A deal we couldn't pass up, and a car I love! Leather, heated seats! Back-up camera! All the tech I've never had! I had fun driving it a little bit over the weekend, and in to the office this morning.
Saturday morning we didn't have piano lessons, which was another nice break. Instead, we got dressed and went to test drive a car! With ice water in our veins, we said. "Just to drive it," we said. But they got us (of course they did) with an offer of $10,000 off a 2016 model. That's four zeroes off. Lucky I'd brought the checkbook just in case. A deal we couldn't pass up, and a car I love! Leather, heated seats! Back-up camera! All the tech I've never had! I had fun driving it a little bit over the weekend, and in to the office this morning.
I had to cantor Saturday night, but had put a pork shoulder in the crock pot all day, so we had BBQ by the time we got home and it was delicious! SO much better than the crock-pot shredded chicken that's been my go-to. Not anymore, I declare. Pork -- the other white meat -- For The Win. Everyone loved it.
Sunday morning I had to sing again, with the choir, but that's the last time until fall. Hooray! As much as I love our new director Alvin, I am so ready for a break from Sunday morning obligations. Then it was time for a lunch-date with our good friends from when Kate was in pre-school. We haven't seen them in a long while, but the girls just fell right back into friendship as if no time had passed, asking each other about their schools, favorite subjects, friends, etc. Fourth graders! I still think of the two of them as Four-Year-OLDS! Anyway, we had a lovely time at Ted's Montana Grill. One thing the mom said struck me -- she, too, stays in her kinda annoying job because.... drumroll... it is close to her daughter's school. And it pays the bills. We decided it's the way of the world.
[[Is this boring? I'm not sure I even want to finish it. I mean, how could I write the daily details better?! I don't know. I always think LL's posts are so interesting, and they're just like this -- does she insert more personality into it, or something?? What gives?! Photos. Hers always have illustrative photos. Okay... uploading now... does this help?]]
Sunday afternoon, guess what Kate and I did? Went shopping. ;) This is becoming a regular thing, which may not be so good for my bank account, but I think it is definitely good for our relationship. Mostly I was after two errand-y things: Popsicle molds and a new coffee pot. My beloved Black and Decker 12-cup, with its stainless steel carafe, went dead Sunday morning. (I had to boil the water myself, then pour it slowly over the coffee grounds! Not gonna work long-term.) As it happens, the Target is right next door to a Justice, so Kate dragged me in there, too. It's not that I dislike you, Justice, it's just that I despise all the shiny STUFF you hang next to and around your cute clothes. We do not need another fluffy keychain or another tiny purse with a "K" on it! And Kate wants ALL of that stuff. It's really hard, having to be the bad guy in there, but bad-guy I was, denying her a pineapple-shaped boogie board ($29), a third hairbrush (with a K), and a $30 t-shirt with sequins. We did, however, buy a one-piece swimsuit and two pairs of shorts, which she needs for summer camp. And then we went to have our nails done. So I'm still Fun Mom.
I hadn't had my nails done in AGES and AGES, and they needed doing. Kate can't have hers painted during the school year because of the dress code, so this was a big treat. We closed the place down, in fact. But I think she and I need some good girl-time regularly, just the two of us, and now we're all prettied up and ready for summer. The boys played video games, some together and some apart, and you know, I think that qualifies for them as quality time, too.
Can I go on for just another minute? Sunday night we watched Mockingjay #2 (just the grownups), Monday we had no plans, did a little laundry here and there (kids helped), I did my ten-minute workout, Shawn did some work, we cleaned up the Highlander so we can sell it soon, we read books, we napped, it rained then stopped, so we grilled our dinner, and it was just a perfect day off. Nothing fancy or too much trouble.
I'm already counting down until the next weekend.
Sunday afternoon, guess what Kate and I did? Went shopping. ;) This is becoming a regular thing, which may not be so good for my bank account, but I think it is definitely good for our relationship. Mostly I was after two errand-y things: Popsicle molds and a new coffee pot. My beloved Black and Decker 12-cup, with its stainless steel carafe, went dead Sunday morning. (I had to boil the water myself, then pour it slowly over the coffee grounds! Not gonna work long-term.) As it happens, the Target is right next door to a Justice, so Kate dragged me in there, too. It's not that I dislike you, Justice, it's just that I despise all the shiny STUFF you hang next to and around your cute clothes. We do not need another fluffy keychain or another tiny purse with a "K" on it! And Kate wants ALL of that stuff. It's really hard, having to be the bad guy in there, but bad-guy I was, denying her a pineapple-shaped boogie board ($29), a third hairbrush (with a K), and a $30 t-shirt with sequins. We did, however, buy a one-piece swimsuit and two pairs of shorts, which she needs for summer camp. And then we went to have our nails done. So I'm still Fun Mom.
I hadn't had my nails done in AGES and AGES, and they needed doing. Kate can't have hers painted during the school year because of the dress code, so this was a big treat. We closed the place down, in fact. But I think she and I need some good girl-time regularly, just the two of us, and now we're all prettied up and ready for summer. The boys played video games, some together and some apart, and you know, I think that qualifies for them as quality time, too.
Can I go on for just another minute? Sunday night we watched Mockingjay #2 (just the grownups), Monday we had no plans, did a little laundry here and there (kids helped), I did my ten-minute workout, Shawn did some work, we cleaned up the Highlander so we can sell it soon, we read books, we napped, it rained then stopped, so we grilled our dinner, and it was just a perfect day off. Nothing fancy or too much trouble.
I'm already counting down until the next weekend.
1 comment:
You make me laugh. Not boring.
Post a Comment