Friday, October 6

I want a cat

First, I want to not be allergic to cats. I fear that might be a difficult thing to achieve; however, 17 years ago I relied on a daily Sudafed and managed being allergic to dogs JUST FINE. By the time Shawn and I bought our first house, I'm pretty sure I didn't need the Sudafed anymore, and lived with the dog easily for another 9 or 10 years after that.

Sorry for that preamble.

I've decided I want us to get a cat. ...I think. The kids would love to have a pet again, and I feel like we need to pull the trigger on that sooner rather than later, because they are growing fast and neither one will even live in the house with us (presumably) in 9 years or so! I want them to have that "pet" experience as kids.

We don't feel we can get another dog right now. We're just never home. These days, we leave the house at 7 am and don't get home until, on average, 6:45. This isn't fair to a dog who needs to play and be walked, and, oh yeah, go out to potty! But a cat... you know, they are trained to go potty in a handy box inside the house. It might not smell amazing, but I'm hopeful that kitty litter has come a long way in the 30 years since I've had a cat. Plus, a chore! For 2 kids to learn responsibility!

So, FYI, I've been snooping around on a local cat adoption website. It says that it would be even better to adopt two cats, so they'll have each other and not get bored. Heh. We are going to discuss this at dinner tonight.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

I resisted getting a cat, but after we tried to rescue a stray that was hit by a car and it ... okay, that story might be too sad to tell off-hand ... anyway, we went to the animal shelter and Madison picked out a kitten, and truly, it has been mostly wonderful. I am so, so, so glad we did it. We all love our Cookie!

Sherry said...

(I said "mostly" wonderful because I admit there was a period where he had some kind of colitis probably caused by food allergies and I was at my wit's end, but all we had to do was go to a GOOD vet and we got it totally straightened out. Cookie is the easiest pet ever. And did I mention we LOVE him?! :)

Lee said...

Love that you have Cookie! How sweet!

I chickened out from talking about it at the dinner table. Shawn's not a fan of the idea, I don't think, except he thinks it would be fun to mess with a cat, with a cucumber. (look it up on youtube for a laugh). Will keep you posted!