Thursday, January 18

More Snow Days!

My goodness, this winter! We had another little snow event Tuesday night in the Atlanta metro (2 inches), so now it's Thursday and we're on our 2nd Snow Day. This was already a short week with the MLK holiday (one of my favorites, because it helps soften the blow of the regular routine after the holidays), but now it's been barely a week at all.

I'm not complaining. I like that the city authorities are taking weather seriously, I HATE driving on ice, and I don't mind AT ALL being forced to work from home. However, this time it's so cold that the kids don't even want to go play in it! How about that?! Their teachers are frustrated with the dent in their lesson plans, and therefore sending assignments via email and the school portal, which is helpful. I'm not sure my kids have ever practiced piano 4 days in one week before this. All good things. But I think I'm all done with snow, now, thank you very much Mother Nature, and can we please get on to spring-like temperatures? Kthanks. (It's supposed to be 61 degrees by Sunday, ha!)

One of the articles I worked on yesterday afternoon somehow was not on my computer this morning. I don't have a clue what happened, and luckily I was able to recreate the work, but argh, that's annoying.

We've met our Unicorn (VP of Marketing). Finally! It's been a year and a half without a boss. We started calling her "The Unicorn" during the hiring search, because it seemed like we would never find this special person with all the perfect qualities and qualifications. I liked her well enough when I met her on Tuesday. Of course there's the cultural difference of personality/tone of voice that kind-of causes everyone to stumble over conversations and squint our eyes, at first, until we get to know her better (she's Danish), but I think she sees our challenges and is here to help us by making good decisions... I hope, too, she'll be able to argue for some additional help within the department -- and she mentioned wanting to reconsider roles/responsibilities, so that might be an improvement. I don't know.... it's possible she'll be my hatchet-man. It's possible she won't.... we're all in a bit of flux until we know what her M.O. is. I'm trying to think positively, be open to her ideas, and not feel defensive if she starts critiquing things. That's part of her job, I guess. Just keep my head down and do my work until I'm told otherwise. ;) 

Work. Bah. 

On the side, I'm reading Defending Jacob -- it's really good. A courtroom drama. Makes me want to read some of the recent John Grishams. I gave him up after The Firm, I believe, LOL. I'm also trying to gear up for the WLC! Yesterday I made lists, for family meals and for lunches, so that when I'm meal-prepping and shopping this weekend I'll know what to get. I think the first thing I'll make will be gumbo, which is no sacrifice at all (EDIT: Phooey, I guess I can't really make gumbo. I could try to find organic andouille, but there's no getting around the roux. I'm going to call the flour in the roux negligible and anyone who wants to argue with me is welcome to it)! I do love this health plan. Snacks are the hardest part, but there's a Whole Foods near my office now, woo hoo! Game changer.

No comments: