Thursday, April 19

Dear Alex, on your 8th grade graduation retreat...

The 8th grade graduation celebrations have started. The first is an all-day retreat today, and us parents were asked to send our kids letters. Here's mine. 

Dear Alex,

I'm so glad that I've had lots of opportunities to write to you over the years, mostly via the letters and postcards I've sent to WinShape. It makes this letter-writing a little less daunting. ;)

Today you're at your 8th grade retreat (duh, Mom). It's both unbelievable — it honestly seems like yesterday you started Kindergarten at St. Joseph's with your Batman backpack — and totally believable — sometimes the days have been long, haven't they? Finally, you're about to reach the end of 9 years. And wow, all that you've accomplished in your time there. My heart bursts. Your Faith in Action awards (3!), your amazing report cards every single grading period, your deep friendships, your excellent papers, stories, and essays, Scouting experience and achievements, Math awards and Honors, Battle of the Books awards, AR awards, Drama performances, and JESUS! ;) I'm most proud of that one. AND of your being chosen to do a long reading at your very first Mass in Kindergarten. 

You'll take all of these things, and what you learned from them, with you in the next phase, high school, and even beyond that. You may not realize it, but there are characteristics you've earned by doing, that are now part of who you are and who you will continue to be: dedication, commitment, integrity, friendliness (don't discount that one — it's super important), goodness, humor (I adore your sense of humor and it will take you further than you know, particularly because you know how and when to use it well), easy-going-ness (sorry, I know it's not a word), patience, and pride in yourself. Since you were very little, you've been self-assured. This pleases me to no end, because I don't think I felt self-assurance until much later in my life.

I am so proud of you. The joy you bring to our family is unique. I love you infinity, and I am always, always here for you. Congratulations, and enjoy these last few weeks. 

Love, 
Mom

No comments: