At 2:45 a.m. tomorrow (tonight) we will get up and dressed, get in the car and drive south for our 4:15 call-time at the airport! Seattle, here we come! Finally! I've been wanting to do this for years. It's going to be SO FUN!
...I don't know that getting up in the dead of night is going to be FUN, exactly, but I'm saying that to keep the positive vibes flowing. But seriously, our flights to/from Seattle are going to be some of the best parts of the trip, according to Kate. First one takes off at 6:15 a.m. and since no one except me has flown on a plane since 2007 (or never, in Kate's case), we're all a bit excited about the experience. (Early morning flights were cheaper and non-stop, so that's why.) We started the packing process last night, which was smart. "Does this need to go in the carry-on?" "No, since that's larger than 3 oz., put it in the checked bag." "Are we checking this bag?" "No, let's carry it on, and then if we arrive at the gate and they're asking people to gate-check bags, we won't have to pay the $25 to check it." "Mommy, can I take this perfume?" "Why do you need perfume? You're TEN. No, that's out." Lots of questions and scurrying around to find quart-sized ziplocs and luggage tags.
But I'm excited that they're excited. It IS kind-of a lot of logistics to get 4 people on a flight. ! Not as easy as traveling solo with just 2 carry-on bags. Papa Joe is here and giving the kids lessons on what happens in the cockpit. I'm trying to explain security as best I can, but really, there's no way to understand it until you do it. I'm grateful, really, that we're going so early in the morning, because I HOPE that will mean the lines aren't quite as long and the crowds not quite as large. We'll see, though.
Once we get to Seattle.... yay!!!! We'll be hanging out with Sissy and her fluffy kitty, Thomas O'Malley, and sightseeing and enjoying a Pacific-Northwest spring (it's forecast to rain every day, woo!). Probably will go to the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, ride the Bainbridge Ferry, and maybe Discovery Park, too. Already booked a tour at the Theo Chocolate Factory in Fremont. :) I've been looking a little bit at visitseattle.org this morning... cutting it close! But also trying to let it be a relaxing vacation, not a sight-seeing extravaganza with every moment planned. I'm hoping for one day that includes brunch out somewhere. I love brunch out.
We're grateful to Mom and Dad who came for Easter, and are staying to kitty-sit! Hee! I do feel a little bad we're going to Seattle without them. But on the other hand, it's good to take family trips, just the four of us, too, and make our own memories. That's what it's all about. Catch you on the flip side!
2 comments:
I hope you have a WONDERFUL trip!!!
Oh, I LOVE Seattle! I haven't traveled much, but I picked Seattle for an anniversary and it was GRAND! Hope you all had a great time!
Post a Comment