The holidays were a veritable BLINK, weren't they?? I'm sitting here, back at work for reals, on Jan 2nd, and it's all over already!
Thankfully, the days didn't seem to go by quickly when they were happening, just now in retrospect. Mom and Dad arrived on Friday the 21st and are still here (leaving tomorrow, sad face). Jilly arrived on the 26th and left on the 30th; the kids had a dentist appointment this morning and start back with piano lessons tonight, and I suppose it will be good to return to some kind of normal routine soon.
The highlights:
- FOOD: I did, miraculously, have enough energy for hosting and cooking and all, thanks for asking. ;) Our dinner menus were good (I chose The Kitchn's mac and cheese and it was delicious). One unplanned night I made chicken enchiladas, refried beans and a small salad, just using what I had on-hand, and was very proud of that accomplishment. At this point we have nearly exhausted every food supply in the house (we are out of Gatorade, sandwich bread, milk and squeeze butter (don't judge), just to mention a few staples). But we have nearly enough ingredients to make Sloppy Joes tonight. (Thanks, Mom, for making a quick grocery run today for the onion while I'm at work, and for cooking!)
- ACTIVITIES: I was most worried about what we would DO during the break, partly because Jilly was here and 2 years ago when she came, we barely exited the house (rain). We did a little better this time (still with rain): A lunchtime visit to Atlanta's Battery, home of the new Braves' stadium and Wahlbergers, where we had lunch. An Italian dinner at Macaroni Grill that felt special. Also, an ill-fated trip to the GA Aquarium because it was packed to Stupid levels with other people trying to enjoy their days off. Ugh. I am ... not sure I'm glad we went. Glad we made the effort; will know better next time. We did enjoy the dolphin show. We also convinced Kate that Midnight Mass Christmas Eve would be fun. She conceded anyway and we only had to go once that day. Went to a lot of Masses over 2 weeks, though, including yesterday's one for the Holy Day of Obligation (which I normally skip). We have watched a lot of Aerial America, Drain the Oceans, Dr. Pol (Dad's favorite) and football. I finished Pillars of the Earth.
- GIFTS: Everything was well-received, especially Jill's great idea to wrap up all the favorite books she read in 2018 and share them, free-for-all style. Now I have about 8 new things to read, woo hoo, without even trying! She brought the Michelle Obama bio, for one thing, and Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, which I've already started and love so far. I also got a Keurig! Fun!
- ACCIDENTS: Just one. I stupidly backed my car into Mom and Dad's, forgetting it was in the driveway on their 2nd night here. Gah. My car is in the shop this week and theirs will go as soon as they get home, and my insurance will cover the brunt of it. I was so grateful to have hit the car of someone who loves me, and not a stranger. These things happen I guess. It does make you feel real dumb, though.
- NEW YEAR'S: I feel completely inadequate for New Year's. I don't know why it seems like I should have matching plates/napkins and streamers and noisemakers, and happy board-gaming until midnight and a festive atmosphere... but that's how I feel ... and that's NOT how we generally do it. By that time, I'm usually tapped out on ideas and energy I guess. We did stay awake, all of us, and we played Dos, by the makers of Uno and watched (boring) football... and had champagne/ginger ale to toast. But otherwise I'm beating myself up a little for not making it special enough. I mean, we'd had the same plate of cookies out for a week by New Year's, we just refilled it every so often. Kinda anti-climactic. Maybe next year I need to have a special dessert, I don't know. Even yesterday, our New Year's Day dinner felt more like a regular weeknight supper although it did include lucky black-eyed peas. Oh well. Can't win 'em all.
I'm so grateful for my parents making the trip up here. One thing I want to resolve in 2019 is to make more effort to visit THEM this year (and my MIL).
Other things:
- I've started Dedicate, Yoga with Adriene's 30-day January plan. Got up at 5am today to begin, and glad about it.
- The Whole Life Challenge starts on 1/19 and I'll be doing that with Mom, woo hoo for healthy habits and a food re-boot.
- I'm planning Shawn's party - the Evite goes out today!
This is already super long so no review this year. 2018 was really good: I accomplished a lot and learned a lot, and I'm ready to bid it good-bye and start fresh. Hope you are, too! xx
3 comments:
Yay for lovely holidays and good food!
I too feel the pressure to make holidays (like NYE) Special. But. This year, we put the kid to bed at a normal hour, and my husband played video games and I watched How to Get Away with Murder and we kissed at midnight and then went to bed. Which was GREAT, if you ask me.
Sorry to hear about the accident, but hopefully the rest of the year will be incident free!
I agree about New Year's. Darryl worked and I made Madison happy by taking her to a party for her friends and their two Moms (who are my friends). It was okay. ... I've come SO close to backing into my parents' car in the driveway. SO close. ... I am doing some yoga too! I love it. I haven't done it before -- thinking I've got to do hard workouts. But I think my achy body is done with those. And I'm okay with that! ... I also got the Michelle Obama bio. And I read Eleanor Oliphant last year -- loved it. I'm reading Adriana Trigiani's latest -- Darryl got it for me because I'm a sucker for her easy books. ... The only really different thing I did this break was ice skate. It was FUN! And PACKED!
Life of: what a perfect, perfect NYE!
Sherry: LOVE Adriana Trigiani! :) And I'm so happy you've found yoga! Ice skating is a great idea for the holidays. Next year I will remember that.
Post a Comment