Thursday, January 10

This Week's Wins

Something new... instead of calling out my complaints in the title, let's see if naming it positively shifts my perspective a little. (Oh, don't worry, I'll get my complaints in there, no doubt. Plenty for you to commiserate with, if that's your thing.)

1. First win of the week goes to MONDAY, because the kids went back to school, thank the good Lord. It was time. It was soooooo time. We humans thrive on routine, and my young humans were sorely lacking theirs. Naturally there are screen-time related details. I'm fully conflicted: It's our fault as parents, it's not our fault -- it's not going to kill them, it IS definitely going to kill them, or at least their developing brains -- I am top of it with rules/limits, I HAVE NO IDEA how to set and enforce limits -- he'll be fine and get into college somewhere, he DOESN'T DO ANYTHING BUT THE iPHONE and HE'LL DEFINITELY NEVER GET INTO COLLEGE!! -- et cetera. Today while driving Alex to school, he wasn't on the phone (a minor miracle). But he wasn't talking to me, either. He hardly ever starts the conversation; I always try, but it usually ends with a one-phrase answer. Is this simply because he's a teenage boy and they don't get chatty with their moms, anyway, or has his screen addiction (?!) ruined his ability to start conversations? That's my latest worry. #momlife

back to wins... 

2. Also on Monday, I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond looking for an iced tea/water server, you know the kind, big glass jugs with a spout on the front, in a little twin set? There was only one option, sadly, and it didn't have quite the perfect metal stand for my design taste, nor did it have the Pinterest-worthy chalkboard labels, but I don't have time to quibble and it was something like $29 which seemed like a good price, so I bought that sucker. I am hosting a birthday party in T-minus 9 days and every second counts.

3. Big win on Tuesday, and the accomplishment of one of my 2019 goals -- I had lunch with a friend. The official goal is to invite at least one non-work friend out to lunch each month. Tuesday I went with Jackie, a buddy from church choir, and we ate Mexican food and giggled about gossipy stuff and she told me some deep family stuff she's dealing with, which I felt privileged to know, and so. It was awesome. 

4. I got my car back from repairs. All better. Except it smells severely of new paint. I will not miss my rental car, a Chevy Cruze which was perfectly nice but it had that auto-eco-engine-off feature where the car just shuts off at stop signs or red lights. I know I could have probably cancelled that feature somehow, but I wasn't interested in reading the manual for a car I only had for a few (8) days. It was kind-of interesting, too - dead silence in the middle of a busy road - so I just experienced it. 

5. My company's president (US office only) resigned, after only 2 months on the job. Hahahahahaha! Nothing new at all, happens all the time. Gave us the little shot of office drama that we feel lost without. Ugh. I mean, it's not a win, really, except I guess he wasn't the perfect fit that we (really, truly) thought he was, so in the end it's probably better this way. And it will engender MORE office drama, probably, in the hiring of a new one. Woo hoo!  

6. 9 days of yoga so far! I haven't quit the 30-day program, although today my right wrist was not having it. But that's the beauty of a home practice, as Adriene would say - I can do (or not do) what I want and no one can even see me! Stupid aches and pains. 

7. Sunshine! After weeks upon weeks of grey, misty weather - which I enjoy, don't get me wrong - we have finally had a week of clear skies. Relief! It's nice to not feel like you're in a cocoon, or in a literal fog all day long for days on end.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

All good stuff! I'm not doing yoga right now but my parents are here. Really hard to do in our smallish house with guests. Okay, I feel I should never try to pass along knowledge, particularly about parenting, because HA! I know so little. But here's something I've noticed with Madison. She will never answer me when I ask her about her day or anything. BUT, if I start running on and on about MY day and how it's gone, THEN she'll pitch in an item or two about HER day. It's kind of amazing to me. I am guessing she feels that it's no longer MOM wanting DETAILS, but it's two people sharing. (Boy, I hesitate to write that because it will probably immediately stop working.)

Lee said...

That is EXCELLENT advice, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing it. xo

suzanne day by day said...

The TV/screens thing is SO HARD. I completely 100% get your see-sawing feelings because I feel that way too. Screens are such an inevitability... and I personally get so much enjoyment from them!... but ARGH! There's no right answer, is there? We're all just muddling along.

So awesome that you are doing so well on your goals!!! Woot woot!