I have to tell a small, funny tale about Alex. He is SUCH a helpful kid, always willing to do whatever we ask him to do -- which frequently means he's tasked with taking meat out of the freezer in the morning, because he's last to leave home on school days, and I always forget to do it myself.
Yesterday I texted him and said, "There's some chicken in freezer, cut into chunks in a Ziploc -- can u put it in the fridge pls?"
"Yeah"
"Thank you xoxo"
"No prob"
And I didn't think another thing about it. I was planning to make these pretzel-coated chicken nuggets, because I find myself with a ton of pretzels* and no one in my house actually LIKES pretzels.
Imagine my surprise when I got home, and found a Ziploc bag of raspberries in the fridge, and my chicken still solid as a rock in the freezer!
He said he just grabbed the closest Ziploc he could find, and "they looked like they were in chunks, so I assumed it was the right one!"
... We had leftover Easter pork tenderloin, instead. ;)
Raspberries.
Our Easter Sunday dinner was so fun. The neighbors came over, and offered to bring both mashed potatoes and a fruit tray with "fluffy dip" (cream cheese and whipped cream and sugar, YUM). Those contributions reduced my stress level significantly, and it was an otherwise easy meal for me to arrange and prepare:
Cheese and crackers for a small hors d'oeuvre (I forgot to slice the summer sausage)
Pork Tenderloin
Sweet and Sour Green Beans (made the day before)
Bacon-Jalepeno Deviled Eggs (made the day before)
Heat and serve rolls
Peach mimosas (Simply Peach + Stella Rosa Peach)
Strawberry lemonade for the kids
3-ingredient Lemon Cake, which Kate and their daughter, A., decorated with sprinkles in the shape of a cross, so smart and sweet!
They came over at 3:00, we ate ate 3:30, and sadly they had to leave by 5:30 because Mr. Neighbor had to go to the airport for a month-long business trip (military). BUT! This was actually good, because I wouldn't have known what to do if they'd stayed and stayed. Get out the Uno cards? Watch a movie? Sit and talk (for 4 hours??) They kept apologizing but it was a huge relief. We cleaned up, then we did watch a movie slash snooze, and then had more cake for "dinner" around 8:00. Perfect holiday, IMO.
Other dinners planned for this week:
(M - Penne pasta casserole with ground turkey and sausage, red sauce and mozzarella)
W - Pretzel chicken nuggets! Pasta salad with veggies
Th - Oven Chicken Fajitas
F - Pizza, lovingly picked up on the way home from work
I'm at work today with a TON of new tasks, so I'd better get to it.
But here we are on Sunday (I do not care for this photo of me - for one thing, it doesn't show the prettiest part of the dress, which is the bright orange hem and sleeve cuffs):
*So many pretzels because Pinterest encouraged me to make these for Easter. They weren't even a Pinterest-Fail! Aren't they the cutest? I always buy pastel M&Ms anyway, so it was fun, and helped me occupy Kate while she was out of school. Girl always needs a crafty project!

1 comment:
Ha! Alex has joined the "man club," I'm afraid. Your Easter sounds lovely. This was my least favorite Easter ... ever. The best part was a good (but weird for Easter) dinner of chicken parmesan, walking with Madison, and watching the Spiderman animated movie -- also weird but fun. I made homemade cinnamon rolls -- which is quite time-consuming, but I put tons of cream cheese frosting on them which immediately made Darryl feel like throwing up (sigh). I've been eating them all week, but I didn't exactly make them for myself! And we didn't go to church for the first time ever -- I am church-homeless. And D. was down for much of the day. But hey, don't mean to complain too much. It was lovely not to have school the next day, and all is well here! Really good!
Post a Comment