- We had a delightful week off -- did the museum and the outlets and lots of family time -- and today I don't feel like doing any work. I feel a little scatterbrained, actually. Can't seem to keep upcoming dates straight. This morning before I left for work, I had to return upstairs to retrieve forgotten things not once, but twice. And I can't decide which job tasks are priority on this Tuesday, which makes me feel very loosey-goosey and not anchored by any deadline. This is a good thing, but it's also a challenge.
- I'm dealing with watery eyes nearly every morning lately, until about 8:30. What gives?! Following in my father's footsteps, I guess, because he's dealt with watery eyes for about a decade now. He even had surgery to fix what the doctor said were blocked tear ducts causing the watery-ness, but it didn't help. Poor Dad. And poor me! It is SUPER annoying. I don't even think it's allergies, but it might be.
- We seem to be in somewhat of a "lean" season, money-wise, right now. Nothing stressful, and we do have savings, but the bank balance just feels low. We're not big spenders, although we had a little spree at the outlet mall over Spring Break -- get this: I got 4 items at the Vera Bradley outlet for less than $100! FOUR things! They were having a 60% off, + 20% off sale. Eighty percent! It was amazing and I have a new purse to show for it. ;) -- anyway, it's a bit of a bummer to feel even the slightest pinch. We owed federal taxes, the tax accountant also costs a pretty penny (worth it), and summer camp ain't cheap, full balance due May 1. The kids are growing (hooray!) and need summer clothes and shoes and Kate needs new uniforms next year for middle school. Plus, I grocery shopped last Wednesday and it already feels like the cupboards are bare, but I'd like to NOT grocery shop again until the weekend. We're FINE, fine fine fine fine, nothing at all to see here, but then I was also thinking that possibly in a year, we'll need to add another small car payment to our monthly budget, and more gasoline and insurance when Alex starts to drive. Ack. One of his buddies turned 15 over the weekend and his parents already bought him a car. Fifteen. Hasn't even taken the written test for the permit. Hello, extravagance. Comparing yourself to others is a bad habit but that's what got me thinking. I've paused my Stitch Fix shipments and I think Shawn is cancelling his SiriusXM subscription. There are certainly other things we could cut if necessary, and it's good to be reminded to take care, to appreciate our usual comfortable (though not excessive) financial padding.
- For Q2 and April, I have decided to focus on home-caring and gardening. I've been obsessed with "yard of the month" pictures lately. Obsessed! Hee hee. Our neighborhood doesn't do YOTM, but Google does! I love when the homeowners stand with their YOTM sign. So cute. Last year my front yard gardening was a complete and total bust; the hanging plants I bought from a school fundraiser died within 2 weeks, I chose Dusty Miller even though I should have known better (I HATE how it gets so leggy), and whatever flowers I chose (marigolds, maybe? Or begonias?) didn't survive my black thumb or the heat. Hope springs eternal, though, and I can only improve over that. I'm spending the time I'd normally be on social media studying garden tips and ideas. Indoors, we want to paint 1) Alex's bedroom, 2) the den and kitchen, and 3) our bedroom/bath. What we REALLY need to paint is our entry/hallway, but we'll have to hire someone for that because it's two stories. And then I'll want new throw pillows and artwork and and and... watch out, checkbook. Sigh.
- Some meals from this week's menu:
- Crock-pot BBQ pork on slider buns (delicious) with veggies/dip
- Bacon-Ranch Spaghetti and garlic toast (carb heavy but yummy)
- Chili over rice
- Maple-glazed salmon with wild rice and broccoli (meat-free Fridays, such a Lenten sacrifice)
a library of my thoughts on motherhood, family, working, and daily life. an attempt to know myself. (hello, self!).
Tuesday, April 9
Scatterbrained, therefore, bullet-points
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"fine fine fine fine nothing at all to see here" made me laugh. Thank you. We are also fine, but I can freak myself out with the UNCERTAINTY of INCOME in the FUTURE!
Post a Comment