Wednesday, June 19

Camp Report 2019

The kids came home from sleepaway camp at WinShape last Friday (Shawn and I took the day off to pick them up, bonus). They probably -- Kate definitely -- didn't want to leave. It always takes them a day-ish to get back into the "home" mindset.

It takes me some time to recover, as well, because the pick-up day ceremonies are really emotional for me. Not because they've been gone and I miss them so much (HA), but because of the experiences they have there. It's hard to articulate, but when I see each "tribe" perform its chant/cheer (yes, this camp co-opts Native American heritage for its own, which does make me feel a little guilty), in big voices, all together, shouting out their love and pride for their [age group, basically], it just gets to me. WHAT a bonding experience. WHAT energy these college-age counselors share with the campers. What fun! I just love it for them, and it makes me cry somehow. Our camp is structured around a different Bible-verse theme each year, so I get wrapped up in the worship aspect of it, too -- so grateful that they have this focused time to develop their faith. I'm very enthusiastic that it isn't a specifically Catholic-Christian camp, either. I think it benefits them in so many ways to see and participate in different versions of worship/prayer than we normally do.

S. asked me to detail some things about sleepaway camp, and I'm happy to. 
  • Both kids went for the first time after second grade, so Alex was nearly 8, and Kate had already turned 8. I thought, at first, this was way too young. However, they had also both stayed away from home for a week in the summer at their grandparents' houses, so it wasn't that big a step for either of them. (We had a friend who initiated the idea, so we went along with them.)
  • But the reason I did it was, I needed care for them during the summer, and they had already done years of day-care "summer camp" by that time. I knew we'd need to mix things up eventually. 
  • Alex's first year was one-week only (a good way to ease into it), and he went with a friend, making it infinitely easier. They requested each other as cabin-mates. I remember he cried when we picked him up that time, because he wanted so badly to stay on for the 2nd week! (Kate's first year, she'd already seen Alex go for 2 weeks, and wanted a 2-week experience, too.)
  • Our camp is 1 hr and 15 minutes away. Just far enough. Some people send their kids by plane, with the camp van retrieving them at the airport, and I cannot fathom that.
  • It's expensive. I could expand on that, but it just is what it is. I think it's worth it.
  • Packing can be a challenge, if you get stressy about things like that. Now in my 7th year of doing it, I've accumulated the essentials, like rain ponchos and laundry bags and Twin XL sheet sets, etc. The first year, it's a little overwhelming. I know for certain that my kids barely use the sunscreen, bug spray, or stationery/stamps that are on the packing list. ;) 
  • No electronics allowed at camp. Best feature of all IMHO.
  • I've never bought pre-printed name labels for my kids -- just write our last name with a Sharpie on clothes and sheets and towels and stuff. They've never come home without all their stuff. I will say that girls' camp has been a little more "stuff" intensive than boys' - because Kate wanted an actual comforter instead of just a sleeping bag. LOL. One-time purchase and she will take that comforter to college with her if I have any say in the matter.
  • Our camp houses kids in cabins, but they're not rustic. There are six kids and one counselor per cabin, which is an amazing ratio -- I remember summer camp when I was a kid and it was about 25 kids in a cabin with 2 counselors. One night only during their 12 nights away, they do sleep outside in a tent. If it were any other way, I don't think my particular kids would like it as much. We are Not Outdoorsy people.
  • They choose 9 skills they'd like to do - everything from "Young Chefs" to Bible Study to Photography, Cheer, Dance, Musical Theater, Archery, Indoor Rock Climbing, Horseback Riding, "Indian Lore," "Lake Life," etc. It pays to chose a couple of skills that are indoors, because it's hot outside in June, in Georgia!
  • Food is great at our camp, the kids report. This day and age they have to accommodate any allergies or intolerances. The night they campout, they make "hobos," which are foil packets w/meat, potatoes, cheese, sauce, etc., and of course s'mores. :)
  • One thing that was scary when they were littler (and couldn't swim well) was swimming. They take a swim test at the beginning of the week and I know one or two years, they both got "yellow" armbands, meaning they couldn't go in the deep end, and that was probably a little embarrassing. But it was for safety, and they both survived. The photographers tend to make sure to get a picture of the lifeguards that are always at the pools. 
  • Camp is good about posting photos every day, although not always of our kids. We coach them to get in front of the cameras. ;) It's fun for us to see what's going on each day at camp and I usually order prints after they come home.
  • Registration is EARLY because our camp is so popular -- September of the previous year, in fact. But I would say don't wait any longer than January for most summer camps. Yes, really.
  • Both kids have made friends at camp, quickly and easily. Kate came home the first year with a friend to request her second year, and has roomed with the same girl every year since then. Alex met, this year, a kid who rides his bus and goes to his high school that he didn't know (2100 kids at the school)! He and his first camp friend continue to room together. Awww.
  • This year was extra special: Alex was chosen to take a special endurance/character test which lasts a full day and includes physical, mental, and camping challenges. He didn't pass (along with 24 others who didn't pass the mile-run uphill), but he "ranked up" and it's a real honor to be chosen. They go get these kids in the middle of the night to tell them they've been tapped, and the whole camp staff is there to greet/congratulate them. My heart!
Ask anything else you want to know and I'll try to answer. I got over being nervous for them very quickly their first years. They are in such good hands, looked after, known by name, and kept very very busy. They simply don't have time to feel homesick, they're having too much fun.

This week, it's been Carli on Monday (and I asked them to go buy us some cat food so that got them out of the house)... I worked from home Tuesday, and Alex had a morning band practice (it was rainy and I had a lot of work to do, so we didn't do anything interesting)... today they're at home by themselves (which is difficult for Kate)... tomorrow Carli comes, and says she's taking them to her neighborhood pool (thank you, C!)... and Friday's at home by themselves again. Then, off to the beach! 

No comments: