* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * First of all, Happy 15th Birthday to our Alex! * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
It's incredible to me that he's 15, and coming into his own. I really love his teenager self. I thought nothing would be better than his toddler self, but I'm just constantly floored by what a great kid he is. He celebrated yesterday by attending a live professional video gaming day (I don't know either) and it was awesome, I'm told. He looked so grown up when he got home. There are great things ahead for him this year, I can feel it.
-----------------
Band Camp starts next week, so I'm trying to line everything up. It takes place here in town, so that means we have to drive Alex there and back twice each day (morning session and evening session), which is going to be tedious. I'm praying to meet a kind mom or senior band member who will share driving duties with me somehow.
I thought it would be best to have Kate in a camp that week, too, so she's signed up for gymnastics camp. Naturally the pick up and drop off times are slightly different; luckily the two locations are 1 mile apart.
(It would be so much easier to take the whole week off. And actually, for the first time in my life, I have extra PTO days to use. In fact, I could take the week of Band Camp off and still have days left for Thanksgiving and Christmas. But because we just did Destin week, my good Worker-Bee self says I can't disappear again so soon. Sucks to have a conscience sometimes.)
Well, anyway, juggling WFH days and drop-offs/pick-ups is pretty much our life now. And I guess I do appreciate the paychecks.
We had a good July 4th weekend. Picked the kids up in Montgomery, and had a nice lunch with Mom and Dad. :) I'm so, so grateful the kids have that time with their grandparents in their memory banks forever. They had to re-calibrate this year, because Tommy took his kids on another trip, but I think it was probably good for everyone. Instead, they got extra time with Michaela and Josh, and I was delighted to hear that my two were really good with them (they are our even younger 2nd cousins, ages 6 and 3). Plus, they had time to work on a lot of summer homework.
Today I'm feeling ranty about summer homework. While I appreciate the idea of summer reading very much, and can understand why math teachers would want there to be summer math, too, keeping minds sharp and all that... I really don't like it for the kids. Alex, particularly, is taking an AP Humanities course next semester so he's practically taking a whole course this summer, thinly veiled as a "pre-course assignment." Poor kid. He's hoping to finish it this week, before Band Camp starts and takes over his life.
We also need to make up several piano lessons that the kids missed while they were away most of June. So we're working those in.
And my very first friend from Kindergarten, Melissa, is in town this week, so tomorrow we're meeting her and her family for dinner, unexpectedly.
No comments:
Post a Comment