Monday, July 15

Journal-y

I'm feeling journal-y this morning. Band Camp starts in about 12 minutes for my boy. I'm so excited and happy for him - wishing I could be there to chaperone and watch, but knowing he doesn't really want me there, and that's how it should to be. (I think I will sign up to chaperone next week, though.)  I know it's going to be a great time. I know he's going to excel at this. I pray he will stand out to his directors and develop as a leader, too. I really want that for him. To find a place to shine.

We had a nice weekend, starting on Thursday when I was able to work from home all day (1 day a week, worked this out with Shan in May). Then Friday, I went to the office in the morning, but came home at 11:30 to drive Alex to his sectional rehearsal, and then worked from home in the afternoon again. Shan was out both days and no one noticed I was gone. Not that it matters. But it was so luxurious, and I even got some work done (not all of the work, but some). Kate sat alongside me and finished her summer homework. I think every working parent should have this option in the year of our Lord 2019. Laptops are a thing! VPN access is a thing! Even phones you can take with you, to your home, are a thing -- so even our Customer Service people could have the benefit of a work from home day once in a while. I told our IT guy that last week -- that if he got the technology in place, it would be a huge win for everyone's morale.

Anyway, I worked at home. Friday night went to the New Band Parents' meeting. LOVED IT. Had to try hard not to cry before our band career even begins -- I already feel the emotional part of it. Everyone who spoke said it's the "best decision they ever made" for their family; that their kid has grown so much; found his/her people, made lifelong friendships. Sob! I already adore the kids' director; he seems so honest, so sincere in his goals for all of the kids. I totally want to be Band Boosters President one day. Haha! Like I have time for that. But seriously, I am ALL IN already. Anxious to find my place. I will attend Chaperone training tonight, and hopefully chaperone a football game or two this fall, or practices or whatever. I want to work in the Spirit Shack selling t-shirts. I want to work with Special Events (dinners, banquets). I want to do it ALL. (Except fundraising, lol. Too much pressure there.)

Saturday morning, Alex and I were supposed to work at a (band) car wash. But it was cancelled due to rain in the forecast. Yippie! I didn't have to be anywhere or do anything until 2:00, and that was awesome. At 2:00 I took Kate to a sleepover which she was so excited for; it was a group of girls she really likes and a house with a pool, so she was in heaven. And that meant the rest of us could go to Mass and dinner and finish watching Stranger Things, and so we did.

Then Sunday morning, I did a long yoga video and worked on the NYT Sunday crossword (almost solved it completely but had to give up after I'd spent too much time on it, deciding I needed to turn my attention elsewhere) before going to pick up Kate. Groceries, a trip to shop for workout clothes for Kate -- gymnastics camp this week -- and then a lovely Sunday dinner of maple-glazed salmon and roasted potatoes and broccoli.

It was really great, somehow, because there was some ease in it. No rushing around, no real deadlines or must-dos. I need more days like those.

Here are my menus for this crazy week, in case anyone has read this far down the page:

M - Chicken patty sandwiches and fries, both from the frozen aisle, but this is how it is on a day when we have camp pickup at 5 and then an evening camp event at 6:30.

T - Band Potluck! I am taking pasta salad with peas and celery

W - Chili with rice

Th - Fettuccine w/ Creamy Tomato sauce and broccoli on the side

F - Leftovers or Whatever You Want night

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Love all this. Love how things with your kids make you cry. It's the craziest thing. Yay for band!