Monday, October 21

Someone set the table (ha ha, it's always me)...

What's for dinner this week, peeps? Here's my plan:

Tonight (M): King Ranch Chicken Casserole and black beans on the side. Probably chips and salsa/queso on the side, too. This is a new-to-me recipe; I have a very old KRCC recipe - received from my aunt as part of one of my favorite bridal shower gifts, so many years ago. (It was a kitchen shower, and the gift was a recipe book where each guest had been sent a recipe card ahead of time, and brought them with them, to fill up the book! I cherish it.) But that recipe uses canned condensed cream-of soups, and that is so passe.

I think I did it wrong anyway by using flour tortillas, when I should have used corn all these years. It wasn't specified by my aunt. So anyway, it's Mexican fiesta tonight and I'm excited about it!

T: Leftovers on Parade, because we had a version of this sundried tomato pasta w/chicken on Friday night and there's a lot left. It was so yummy!

W: Soup and Grilled Cheese. You are starting to think, "She is really phoning it in this week, again!" And my reply to that unsaid thought is YES. I am bored with everything I make and tired of having to come up with new ideas. So soup and grilled cheese it is. Kate and I will have creamy tomato and Alex and Shawn probably will have Chicken Noodle.

Th: Baked Lasagna, salad, and garlic knots. The lasagna is currently in my freezer; I made it a few months ago and smartly kept half for sometime in the future. Thank you, past me.

F: Alex has band practice until 7:15 but the rest of us will be eating shrimp scampi pasta. However, I forgot to buy spinach, I couldn't find a small (mini) bottle of Chardonnay at the store I went to this weekend (Walmart, okay, it was Walmart*, and they had ONE Black Box Chardonnay but I couldn't reach it) ...and I just ate about 1/3 of the pint of cherry tomatoes I bought for this recipe. Whoops. So I'll have to shop again on Thursday for this one.


This turned out to be an extraordinarily pasta- and casserole-heavy week! Must have been the cold weather on Saturday when I made my grocery list! It was 50 degrees and raining allllllll day.

... reviews the list again...
... thinks about Friday, because Alex is going to have to actually eat with us, since it's a practice and not a football game...

Hmm. Yeah, I think the Friday shrimp is going to be postponed. Since it requires more shopping, and since pasta... I'm going to change that one. It will probably be hamburger patties, served with corn and mashed potatoes. Not that this is a healthier option, mind you, just an option.


*I officially hate doing my grocery shopping at Walmart, especially on a Sunday afternoon, but this weekend we needed a bunch of cosmetic-type things and some items for Kate's halloween costume idea, so Walmart it was. I hate everything about shopping there. Too crowded, nothing comes in regular sizes (food items, I mean), the cashiers use TOO MANY PLASTIC BAGS, and it generally puts me in a MOOD. I should say "Never again!" with vehemence, but Lord knows I'll have to go back there sometime. It's inevitable.

1 comment:

suzanne day by day said...

I have shopped at Walmart twice in the past ten years, but those two times took place within the past six months, so I FEEL YOU with the plastic bags. Is there some regulation that each bag can only hold two items, tops???? Also, the second time I went to Walmart, I stood in line for literally 15 minutes while people piled up behind me and the single checker dealt with some mystery two guests ahead of me. OMG.

Also, can I say that I feel this sentence deep in my soul? "I am bored with everything I make and tired of having to come up with new ideas."

The thing with new ideas is they take WORK. And, all too often, I find myself facing a new! exciting! recipe I've picked out and just sighing deeply and making burritos or pizza or something easy and familiar.