Fall is rolling along so fast -- yesterday was the end of the first quarter of school for Kate, and here we are, nearly mid-October. Finally, the weather has shifted into "Tolerable" status; it was even chilly this morning, and I'm wearing jeans and long sleeves (3/4 sleeves, technically) with sandals, one of my favorite combos. I should be perfectly dressed for football tonight.
It has been one heck of a long week, starting last Saturday night. I had a work event downtown -- breast cancer awareness month, y'all -- at 4:00 pm. Alex had started his day even earlier with a mini-camp band practice from 8:30 until 4:00, and then they got into uniforms and went by bus to their first competition of the season. (We've learned there is such a thing as Band Competition Season.) I left my event early thanks to the kindness of Shan, offering to pack up our exhibit all by herself, and zooooomed up the interstate to make it for Alex's 9:00 pm performance time, and I made it, JUST.... and then they were delayed for possible weather. Ha!
In the end there wasn't enough weather to cancel, so they performed at 9:30... and were awarded the Grand Champion trophy around 11! (We didn't think we could possibly win! There were some other good bands. We (the band) didn't even do our whole show, and didn't use our full set of props!) IMHO, our band's musicianship -- they definitely sounded the best of all the bands -- and the level of difficulty of their show, gave them an edge. It was suuuuuper exciting when the awards were going out. I was all tense, hands clasped in front of me, eeeeeeeee..... and then yay!!!!
And that was just Saturday! The following Monday, another performance -- the county marching band exhibition (not a competition). That went until 11:00, probably, ending with a rousing performance by the guest band from Georgia Tech, which was awesome. Shawn took Kate home to bed, but I went to pick up Alex after the bus returned him to HHS, and after he helped unload the equipment truck (ooh, there goes my heart swelling again)... and we didn't get home from all that until probably 12:15.
Got up and went to school/work like normal the next morning, Lord have mercy and thank you for coffee!
So the week started out a little tired-y. We noticed a water stain on the kitchen ceiling on Tuesday or Wednesday. Something must be leaking upstairs, oh goody. Shawn and I have been showering in Kate's bathroom, because we think it's our shower leaking. The plumber is scheduled to come tomorrow morning (Saturday). I'm hopeful we can do some remodeling around the issue, for instance, removing the terrible flourescent light in our kitchen, like we did in our last kitchen, since our kitchen ceiling will likely be cut up and open anyway. We'll see. Fun stuff!
At work, it's been a week of management meetings, and me trying to make it appear that I'm making a difference. Sometimes I don't feel I am -- like I'm just here to help Shan with whatever she asks me to do. And helping is fine, being a helper is GOOD and worthy -- but I'd like to contribute in a bigger way, sometimes. This whole week I've been conflicted about not being invited to the mangement meetings. I'm not a manager, and don't necessarily want to be. But I do want to be considered more than just a general flunkie. Bah. I don't know. It's just background noise for my real work of Life With My Family, anyway. But it can make those 8 hours a day kinda challenging, especially when the task-load is light.
Tonight is a football game with our nearest rival, so it should be fun, and good weather for the FIRST time all season. I'm hoping to eat nachos LOL. Happy Friday. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment