Wednesday, November 20

So Proud

What a weekend we had at Grand Nationals in Indianapolis!



I have to explain: Our kids' show was entitled, "Restricted: Area 51," so early on in the season, parents started talking about tinfoil hats, and then some of them, including my typically not-so-spirited husband, ordered costumes. We were a pretty wild bunch of spectators, to be honest. 

...about to take the field... each band has 15 minutes total, to set up, perform, and exit the field. The show is 8+ minutes so it's pretty intense getting on and off! 
First set, before it begins...





Kate was over it by the end of the first day, and this pic was taken on the 2nd, so you do the math...

Clarinets section after their semifinals performance, I think

Because of copyright, we can't post the video yet, as far as I understand it. We did learn last night that each band's show is put to bed after the season, and won't ever be done or seen again, live. That's kinda sad, isn't it? But also, cool. Exclusive.

A few other memorable things:
  • The drive up was fairly easy, and unlike when we take 5-hour road trips, I helped drive. I took the shifts that were closest to home, which I thought would make them easier, but actually I think there are more semi trucks near Atlanta and Chattanooga/Nashville, than further north into Kentucky and Indiana, so that was a mistake on my part. Whatever, it was fine. Scenic drive, morseo than when we go south. We even saw an Amish horse and buggy. 
  • Our hotel was ...fine. It was a Towne Place Suites by Marriott, but it's hard to know what you're getting into when booking online. When we drove up at 4:00 on Friday, with Indy having had snow earlier in the week, things just looked kind-of dirty and sketchy. We were in a nondescript business-park kind of area, and there was at least one beat-up car leaving the parking lot as we arrived, and we were a little put off. However, our suite was completely fine with a mini kitchen and 2 bedrooms (we got upgraded). A little too much air freshener in the hallways, but otherwise acceptable. (I just realized no one cares how our hotel was, but I feel like I always get us rooms at these questionable places, because I'm always trying to save a little money. Ugh. Next time, I'm just going to have to be okay with spending a bit more, I have decided.)
  • Lucas Oil Stadium is huge! Surprisingly, I have never been in an NFL stadium before! I am a fan of Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy, and liked the Colts back then, so I was happy to visit this particular venue. And what a feeling it must have been to perform there!
  • It would (will) be verrrry easy for me to slip into being a total, unabashed marching band nerd. I have already been sneaking over to the hornrank.com discussion forums and following conversations with interest. ;)
  • Our preliminary performance was good; however, there were some technical difficulties. The equipment crew couldn't find one of the tarps that are supposed to be laid on the field... one piccolo soloist's mic wasn't working... another tarp folded up accidentally during the show... and another prop had a door malfuntion, unnoticable to most, but not to those of us who were familiar with the show. STILL, it was enough to send us to semifinals.
  • Semifinals was a SPECTACULAR run. Everything went smoothly, they found the tarp, it was heart-stirring and I sat there with my hands clasped under my chin the whole time, in nervous anticipation. They did so well. Left it all on the field, as they say.  ;)
  • After both performances, it took me about a half-hour before I had fully calmed my nerves. 
  • Thursday and Friday nights, we went back to our hotel and watched movies on Disney+. That was a nice way to wind down. We chose The Cat from Outer Space (ha!) from 1978, and then the new live-action Lady and the Tramp. Both were awesome. 
  • Even with our stellar semifinals run, we didn't quite make finals. Our scores were so super close... but we just couldn't beat some of the enormous bands from TX and IN. It was disappointing, but what matters most is the heart with which the kids accepted that news, the pride they always have, and the memories they undoubtedly made. Those are the things we're taking away. In the end I think we finished 15th out of 90 bands. Not too shabby!
  • I'm so, so glad we all went to experience this alongside Alex. It was incredible. It is an indescribable feeling to be a parent, watching your kid do huge things. 

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Love it! Way to go, wonderful Alex and family! I laughed out loud at the "band nerd" comment. We have also watched and enjoyed The Cat from Outer Space. :)