Monday, April 20

Furlough Week Report

I am grateful for last week's furlough. Especially as I look back on it while staring at my work Inbox, with its meetings and tasks for THIS week. I am having a hard time returning.

Aside from the kitchen closet clean-out and finishing World Without End as "major accomplishments," it was definitely a quiet week for me. 
  • I washed/changed the sheets on all the beds in the house. 
  • Kate and I straightened up the front yard after an overnight thunderstorm. 
  • I did some filing (but did not do the oil business spreadsheet). 
  • I think I vacuumed, but can't quite remember.
  • I worked out frequently, including a couple of lovely yoga half-hours outside in beautiful weather.
  • I started another book, and nearly finished it.
  • I hand-sewed myself a mask from some fabric scraps (it isn't too pretty but it works -- I've worn it 3 times already, and have become very determined to wear it when I'm out).
  • Yesterday for some strange reason I decided I needed to Windex all the downstairs windows.
  • I showered and put on makeup once or twice, oh, and I do have a very nice looking home-mani/pedi. 
I don't know -- I guess I thought those 2 weeks would somehow be more ....profound? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them immensely. I spent a lot of quiet time to myself, reflecting, experiencing the birds and breezes. Not having to think about work or sit at my laptop all day was very freeing, and I'm grateful. On Wednesday, though, I texted Mom and Jill and said I felt "unmoored." I cried that day -- not about feeling unmoored, but just about this whole situation, and the kids not knowing if they'll go back to school in the fall. My guilty conscience had something to say about that: You have 2 weeks off and you've found a way to complain about it! "Unmoored?!" You're free! Way to be the champion of whining.

But on Thursday, I practiced "acknowledging and accepting my feelings," and that was better. As a result I didn't accomplish much that day.

Ah, well. It's over now, and I'm back to my heating pad, my notebook, and Microsoft Outlook.

A couple of other important things I learned: 
  1. It helps to open the window blinds every day. Let light in.
  2. The less I do, less I want to do. 
Better get to it. Two meetings today, beginning at noon. Thank God it's still working from home. I really, really hope I can carry this into the Return to Normal, and WFH a couple of days a week permanently. I will argue for it, that's for sure. 

1 comment:

suzanne day by day said...

I think "unmoored" is a really good way to describe what is probably a collective feeling. It certainly applies to me, and my life hasn't changed so drastically as many others. But I just feel adrift and it's very unpleasant.