Friday, April 24

We Are All So Sick of Meals

That title seems negaitve, but I intend this post to be a little more cheerful than the last couple! I haven't posted what we've been eating in a while. And I know that what to eat has been on everyone's minds ad nauseum -- aren't you so sick of meals? I am.

I'm so thankful my kids will EAT now, though. All of you with littles who are super picky, I salute you and stand in solidarity; I know this time must be extra hard with that complication. AND the unavailability of any frozen chicken nuggets anywhere! (At least that has been the case at my Publix -- the prepared chicken freezer cases are absolutely BARE.)

We are making do, and have yet to really tap into our now-fully-stocked emergency stash of Spaghetti-Ohs and dried beans. I've worked hard to build that stash up over the last few weeks, and have found plenty to eat with my slightly-less-than-weekly grocery runs. I used to go every weekend, but have been getting 8 or 9 days out of a trip, rather than just 7.

We just recently decided we are all kind-of over Hello Fresh, and the credit card was feeling the weekly hit. It was great when I couldn't find meats in the stores, but we're skipping the next several weeks and will have to rely on my own recipe books and culinary prowess (I won't say "talent") to get us through. Ha!

This week we've had, after our 2 HF meals:

Cereal/You're On Your Own - was it Tuesday or Wednesday that I just could NOT ...? I can't remember. I think Weds.

Bush's White Bean Chicken Chili - so easy, and really, pantry staples. We serve it over rice and had at least 2 helpings of leftovers.

Smoked sausage with tater tots, canned green beans - look, I didn't say I was winning any awards, here, just getting food on the table. We included a Texas Chocolate Sheetcake for dessert -- one of the things I make (learned from my Mom, hi Mom!) -- that my family does love. Our recipe is similar to PW's, linked there, but has a couple of secret ingredients, bourbon and cinnamon, which give it just a slight edge over any other Texas Sheetcake out there. We needed cake last night; it was our "Shawn had to buy 4 new tires AND has a toothache and Summer Camp Was Canceled" Cake. Medicinal Cake, if you will.

Next week's plan is currently being formulated. I may have to visit 2 grocery stores (ugh) so I don't take too many items from one section at any one store, eek. It's been at least 9 days and we're low on stuff. Here are some things on the menu:

Bacon Ranch Pasta with salad and garlic bread

Oven Cheeseburger Sliders, YUM, if I can find ground beef

BBQ chicken thighs, with roasted broccoli and butterered rice (I have had these thighs in the freezer for a while now; I don't like making this recipe because it smokes up the kitchen. Do you have a better recipe for chicken thighs? I would be open to suggestions.)

We will definitely order in one night this weekend, and I am also planning a pizza order on a weeknight. Of course, living in GA I suppose we could just join the other germy citizens and go out to eat next week, woooo!

JUST KIDDING. It is ridiculous to even consider it yet.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Hello! Thanks for the laughs! I am cooking like CRAZY! The biscuits I made last night were so buttery I had to POUR the butter out of the baking pan. Ha! But they were delicious! I'm going to make tzatziki sauce for some chicken in naan bread sandwiches in a minute. We'll probably hate it. Have packages of naan bread for our hummus appetizer at the theater. Figured maybe I should use it.

ya-ya ma said...

I'm jealous that you made Texas Sheet Cake!!! It IS the best evah!!