Wednesday, August 5

Wildlife!

Being home more (always) has given me a glimpse into the Nature living around my house. I hung a red hummingbird feeder last spring for the first time in years, and it did bring hummingbirds; what a delight to have seen so many of them when it was still cool enough to have my coffee outdoors! Even this past Sunday, I had a hummingbird fly up and, it appeared, look me directly in the eye from about 8 feet away. 

One Sunday morning back in April, as I was sitting at the kitchen table, a deer walked into our backyard. We've seen them back there before, waaaaaay back in the forest behind where our lawn ends. But this one just casually walked into the grass. WELL into the yard, right by one of our brick-edged flower beds. I was indoors but when I moved to the window to try to get a photo, she (I assume she was a she) moved away and bounded off, back to the woods. She was so close!

The next day, a Monday, Kate and I were sitting outside on the front porch. Our porch is hedged with... um, hedges.... and we noticed some movement in the leaves. I thought, are there birds in there? But no, they were lizards. Two of them, and they were, aah, puffed up and doing what must have been a mating dance. I don't know, I've never seen one before! Kate got a giggle out of that one. They were not fazed by us watching them, and it went on for at least a half hour. *big eyes*

We frequently see hawks around here -- the Atlanta basketball team is named the Hawks for a reason -- but one day last spring, I watched a hawk perch itself on top of our trampoline for a few minutes. They're so ominous looking, but thrilling. 

One of the MOST interesting animals I watched was on a Wednesday morning (I only know that because I noted it in this draft) -- it was an actual, factual FOX. In my yard. It started in the back, and I noticed it out of the corner of my eye while I was on the laptop in the kitchen. Thought to myself, "I think there's a stray cat out there." I looked up. NOPE. Was not a stray cat. Had a fluffy tail and a pointy nose, and everything. I "followed" it as it went through our side yard and I went to the front door (inside!), and peered out the front door windows. It trotted along out to the street. Yikes. Shawn says a fox won't hurt you, but I'm not so sure. All the years of fairy tales where the Fox is Sly make me nervous to actually SEE one. But still, a little thrilled!

Finally, in mid July, two black wild turkeys visited. They took the same path as the fox had, through the side yard and coming out to the front, then waddling into the neighbor's driveway, and even boldly walking to their front door, before heading across the street. Wild turkeys! So weird! 

Updating to add: Hummingbirds! This week (Aug 10) I am seeing at least 2 hummingbirds, one of which is perching, not just flying, right outside my kitchen window! They are so wee and so cute! I refilled my hummingbird feeder yesterday and it worked -- they're here! But it's remarkable to see them sitting instead of moving! Eeeeeee! I love birds so much.

I've been on the lookout for more appearances from all these creatures, but haven't seen any lately (of course now it's summer, and hot). Woodland creatures! An unexpected Covid blessing, of sorts.

1 comment:

ya-ya ma said...

Makes me want to hang a hummingbird feeder! I love this! The fox and the wild turkeys - so amazing! WOW!!