I am so relieved.
I am also so sad.
Three weeks ago, they said we would have to decide on our own, whether we'd send our kids back or do online school. I knew that the right call was to keep Alex home, but he had said immediately he wanted to go back. I was reading all the advice saying "We have to be the grown-ups, we have to be the bad guys in this situation, for our kids' -- and the nation's -- health, and keep them home." ...but still, I was willing to let him choose. To order him to wear his mask, obviously, but let him go. His mental health and growth and development is a factor in all of this, too. He was looking forward to it.
But now we don't have the choice, and I'm sad for him. We're waiting for an email from the band directors to come tonight. Supposedly fall sports are still on (... ?? how is that feasible? football? are you kidding me? surely this will change soon, too), and we are supposed to start Band Camp next week.
I am trying to stay calm for Alex's sake.
Kate's private school has been moving toward in-person school with an option to do virtual, and they probably have an easier time planning for it all, being exponentially smaller than the public district; but I do wonder if this will alter their plans as well.
I feel some legitimate sadness hovering over all of us; the kids are so bored, and starved for contact with their friends. They've both had one or two sleepovers and visits, but it's not enough. I know they're in contact with friends online, but it just isn't the same. I worry for their futures, their relationships, their mental health.
AND on the other hand, I'm determined to do my best to help make it a good semester anyway. How can I do it better than in Spring? How can we be together more? How should we order our days to make them Good Days? What can we add that will be of value later? What can we subtract? It's our job as parents to give it our best shot for our kids. I want to do that. I pray I'll have the energy and means. I pray work will let me be here and work flexibly, and that I'll keep my job.
One thing I think is sorely missing from all the leaders, is some hearty cheerleading for everyone -- you know, like, "Everybody come on, together we can DO THIS!" Maybe that's what I need to focus on most of all. Rallying the troops. Positive attitudes.
3 comments:
A bummer and a relief at the same time.
I too am starting to gear up mentally in case it is up to me to make remote learning different now than in the Spring. But it is discouraging and exhausting.
We are modifying our summer vacation plans once again because in order for my nephew to participate in band camp, my brother has to fill out a form daily that asks about travel out of state. Pretty sure putting Florida on the form will disqualify him from participating, and since it is his freshman year of HS, my brother and sister-in-law really want him to be able to do this 100%. But who know, they may still cancel the whole darn thing.
Hang in there. We CAN do this!
Hey there! Madison has decided she wants to do virtual school. I'm worried about her socially, but I know it's probably a good decision for her. Our school district is meeting today, so we should hear more about choices this week. But I think it's virtual for her no matter what.
And in other news, I received a positive COVID test yesterday! I haven't exactly spread the news to the world, but it's very surreal -- this thing I've been thinking about every day is here! On about July 9, I started feeling fatigued and lost my taste and smell. And my nose got stuffy. But I was sure it was my work in our hot and dusty attic that did it. Madison also got a stuffy/runny nose. I finally decided to get a test, which was a four-day process -- two days before I could get one and two days to get results. My taste/smell started to come back yesterday, and the fatigue comes and goes. Yesterday I started being nauseated. And my chest has tender when I breathe deeply. Other that that, I'm good. I haven't quit exercising or doing projects. I have just been sitting and sleeping more. I think I was exposed on July 4, from the neighbor of Madison's friend. But I don't really know. Weird, weird, weird.
@Shannon, keep me posted about your nephew's band and your kids' schools! This is all so hard.
@Sherry! I am so sorry you're not feeling well and I can't believe it's a positive test. That has to be weird! I hope you get better from here and it's nothing more than a blip. Let us know!
Post a Comment